[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW Sort Tool Request

jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) (09/29/88)

Does anybody have a sort tool for MPW, or know where I can get one?
I don't need anything fancy - a simple tool to sort small files in-core
would be quite adequate.

I'd write one myself, or port one from somewhere else, but if one
already exists I can save myself some work.

Please reply by E-Mail at the address below.

John Norstad
Academic Computing and Network Services
Northwestern University

Bitnet:   JLN@NUACC
Internet: JLN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

nopuklic@ndsuvax.UUCP (Blayne Puklich) (09/30/88)

In article <10050019@eecs.nwu.edu> jln@eecs.nwu.edu (John Norstad) writes:

>Does anybody have a sort tool for MPW, or know where I can get one?
>I don't need anything fancy - a simple tool to sort small files in-core
>would be quite adequate.
[..]
>John Norstad
>Academic Computing and Network Services
>Northwestern University
>
>Bitnet:   JLN@NUACC
>Internet: JLN@NUACC.ACNS.NWU.EDU

I'd like to find a sort tool for MPW also.  If anyone knows of such a
tool, please let me know also.  Or post it here, for that matter.

||+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++||
||	Blayne Puklich			nopuklic@plains.NoDak.edu	   ||
||	NDSU Student ACM     		NU087763@NDSUVM1.bitnet		   ||
||	Chairperson		  North Dakota State University, Fargo, ND ||
||									   ||
||		"Everyone should have a Corvette, I think."		   ||
||	NOTE: If nopuklic@plains.NoDak.edu bounces, revert to		   ||
||		nopuklic@ndsuvax.BITNET.				   ||
||-------------------------------------------------------------------------||

norbert@iraul1.ira.uka.de (Norbert Lindenberg) (10/03/88)

> Does anybody have a sort tool for MPW, or know where I can get one?
> I don't need anything fancy - a simple tool to sort small files in-core
> would be quite adequate.

> John Norstad

There is a simple sort tool on MacApp Object Library disk #3,
adapted from Kernighan and Plauger's "Software Tools in Pascal" by
Joseph Bergin. The disk is available from APDA. The tool's main
limitation is that it sorts by ASCII value only, treating the entire
line as one field.

-- Norbert

wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) (10/04/88)

I could be mistaken, but I believe that there is a sort tool
included as part of the MPW 3.0 release.  I don't know if
the MPW 3.0 sort tool would run under earlier versions of
MPW...  I suspect it would.

Ross Wille - Hewlett Packard
wille@hpccc.hp.com

beard@ux1.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (10/04/88)

In article <1740001@hpccc.HP.COM> wille@hpccc.HP.COM (Ross Wille) writes:
>I could be mistaken, but I believe that there is a sort tool
>included as part of the MPW 3.0 release.  I don't know if
>the MPW 3.0 sort tool would run under earlier versions of
>MPW...  I suspect it would.
>
>Ross Wille - Hewlett Packard
>wille@hpccc.hp.com

You've seen the MPW 3.0 release?  Where?  When?  Is C++ available yet?

Patrick Beard
beard@ux1.lbl.gov