[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Program fails when printing under system 3.2

ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) (10/06/88)

I am having a problem printing when my program is run under
an older system version.  Basicly printing works in my
program unless I am running under system 3.2.  I have not
tried any earlier systems because I don't have any.
However there are no problems in printing under systems
4.1 and up.  The crash is always the same.  When the
program gets to calling PrOpen I either get system error
3 or 11.  Both of these indicate a bad call to the proccessor
so I am assuming that the PrOpen call is not available, but
I can't figure out why.  There is no PrInit call.

So please is there some anchient art of printing that has been
lost because it is not needed with the new system releases?

Thanks for any help,
Pete Hoch  -  ...!rutgers!rochester!cci632!ph
	      or   ...!uunet!ccicpg!cci632!ph

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (10/07/88)

In article <19258@cci632.UUCP> ph@cci632.UUCP (Pete Hoch) writes:
>I am having a problem printing when my program is run under
>an older system version.  Basicly printing works in my
>program unless I am running under system 3.2.  I have not
>tried any earlier systems because I don't have any.
>However there are no problems in printing under systems
>4.1 and up.  The crash is always the same.  When the
>program gets to calling PrOpen I either get system error
>3 or 11.  Both of these indicate a bad call to the proccessor

I believe that what you are really seeing is an Unimplemented Trap error.
System 3.2 was the last System not to have the patch in it where all printer
calls were funnelled through a single trap with a routine selector (kind of
like packages).  I remember running into this when MPW 2.0 came out and my
application would die with an ID-12 on a call to PrOpen.  The solution to
this will depend upon which development system you are using.  With MPW, it
was merely necessary to switch between MacPrint.p and PrintTraps.p.

Again, I'm not certain that this is your problem (I don't have your app to
check it against), but your symptoms match those that the above change in
the Print Manager interface caused.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!