[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Easy Way to Talk to a Laserwriter

CJW106@PSUVM.BITNET (MERLIN, Inc.) (10/03/88)

I recently have acquired a LaserWriter IINT, and am very pleased
with the machine.  But I have recently been trying to send the
batch/postscript (?) commands (to turn off the startup page for
example), and have not had much luck.  I was able to send some commands
by altering a driver for PageMaker(tm) and printing a blank page.
Is there an easier way.  I am currently running a Mac Plus if that helps
and have a pretty extensive knowledge of mac software (I think).

thanks

   ___       ___  ___
  /    /__/ /__/ /__   / / /     Charles J Williams III (cjw106@psuvm.bitnet)
 /__  /  / /  / ___/  / / /      Pennsylvania State Univeristy [DuBois]

g099508030ea@deneb.ucdavis.edu (Jim Deline) (10/05/88)

In article <55472CJW106@PSUVM> CJW106@PSUVM.BITNET (MERLIN, Inc.) writes:
>I recently have acquired a LaserWriter IINT, and am very pleased
>with the machine.  But I have recently been trying to send the
>batch/postscript (?) commands (to turn off the startup page for
>example), and have not had much luck.  I was able to send some commands
>by altering a driver for PageMaker(tm) and printing a blank page.
>Is there an easier way.  I am currently running a Mac Plus if that helps
>and have a pretty extensive knowledge of mac software (I think).

Well, I don't know about a IINT, but on our LaserWriter Plus we use
MacTerminal.  Set the Laserwriter to 9600 baud transfer and plug it
into the modem port.  Set the term program up as usual.

To get into interactive mode, type 'executive', you should get the
PS> prompt at this point.  Type 'serverdict begin 0 exitserver', you
should get a response something like [%%serverdict permenant status
may be changed%%].  Then type 'statusdict begin false setdostartpage
end'.  This will turn off the startup page output. Then hit a couple
of control-d's and quit MacTerminal.  Don't forget to set the printer
back to appletalk and reconnect the cable to the printer port.

I didn't state it above, but the terminal settings should be as
follows:
	Terminal
		Terminal = vt100
		Mode = ANSI
		Cursor shape = underline
		Character Set = US
		Line Width = 80 column
		On-Line, Auto Repeat, Auto Wraparound
	Compatability
		Baud = 1200
		Bits per character = 8
		Parity = none
		Handshake = none
		Connection = another computer
		Conection port = modem
	File Transfer
		Transfer method = text

I hope this helps.
I suggest buying 'LaserWriter Reference Manual' by Apple Computer.

J. Deline
U.C. Davis Chemistry Dept.

verber@allosaur.cis.ohio-state.edu (Mark A. Verber) (10/12/88)

Clayton Elwell, who used to work here at OSU posted a program called
PS Tool to the net awhile ago that would permit an interactive session
to a Laserwriter via Appletalk.  It also had an integrated text editor
and was generally pretty cool.  Check around your site and on SUMEX
for a copy of the program.  If you can't find it send me mail and I
will post it, mail it, or do whatever seems most appropriate.

Cheers,
Mark Verber
The Ohio State Univ.