[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Daisy produces extra EOL's

ncrebel@ndsuvax.UUCP (Howard Rebel) (10/15/88)

I am having problems with Earle Horton's Daisy v1.1 print driver.
An extra end-of-line is generated after every four paragraphs.
The problem  can be reproduced by using MSWORD to create a line
of text 50 characters long followed by a paragraph mark.
Make 20 copies of the line and the paragraph mark.  Print it.

Setting daisy to send out only a CR as a line terminator and setting the
printer to do auto LF on CR produce same results as when daisy's
line terminator is CR LF and the printer set to not do a auto LF.

When I replaced the serial printer with a terminal I got the same
results.  That rules out the printer as the problem.

When I select the LaserWriter to print from I do not get the extra
blank lines in the output.

The computer is a Mac II with system 6.0 and finder 6.1.
Howard Rebel
ncrebel@ndsuvax (Bitnet)
ncrebel@plains.nodak.edu uunet!ndsuvax!ncrebel

earleh@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Earle R. Horton) (10/18/88)

In article <1513@ndsuvax.UUCP> ncrebel@ndsuvax.UUCP (Howard Rebel) writes:
>I am having problems with Earle Horton's Daisy v1.1 print driver.
>An extra end-of-line is generated after every four paragraphs.
>The problem  can be reproduced by using MSWORD to create a line
>of text 50 characters long followed by a paragraph mark.
>Make 20 copies of the line and the paragraph mark.  Print it.

Daisy is a rather simple-minded program.  The height of a line of text
is 11 pixels, period.  When you give it lines which are not exactly 11
pixels high, then it throws off the code which keeps track of where to
print.  I don't use MSWORD much, but methinks the paragraph mark is
some number of pixels high which is not an even multiple of 11.  That
will do it.  Ah, yes, here we go!  The paragraph mark is higher than a
single line of text, at least in the default setup.  You have to go
into Paragraph Setup, and set up the inter-paragraph spacing to equal
the line-to-line spacing, which must be 11 pixels.  This implies, of
course, that you should use Monaco 9 or Courier 10 for best results.

Word is trying to give you WYSIWYG (what-you-see....) here.  Therefore
it is trying to leave a space between paragraphs equal to what is on
the screen.  Daisy simply has no way to tell Word that the only
available vertical spacing is a linefeed.  Word is assuming that, like
with the ImageWriter, fractional linefeeds are possible.

>The computer is a Mac II with system 6.0 and finder 6.1.

A recent posting made reference to Daisy crashing under this
configuration, or one like it.  Watch it!
Earle R. Horton. 23 Fletcher Circle, Hanover, NH 03755
(603) 643-4109
Sorry, no fancy stuff, since this program limits my .signature to three