[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacinTalk and LSC 3.0

thk@cwi.nl (Tom H. Koornwinder) (11/01/88)

What is the correct MacinTalk.h file to be used in connection with
MacinTalk.Lib in LSC v.3.0? This version does not contain MacinTalk.h.
I tried an old version of MacinTalk.h which belonged to LSC v.2.15 and
which was kindly sent to me by Ted C. Johnson, who posted Number Talk.
However, my program, which wanted to apply MacinTalk, crashed at the first
call of Reader(). In particular, I would like to know whether the following
typedefs in MacinTalk.h v.2.15 are still correct in version 3.0:

	typedef char SpeechRecord[100];

	typedef SpeechRecord *SpeechPointer, **SpeechHandle;

Tom Koornwinder

tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) (11/03/88)

I don't have LSC 3.0, so I don't know if it still works.  It works
fine with LSC 2.15 though.

If anyone finds a bug in the header file and figures out the
change to make it work with LSC 3.0, could you please e-mail
me the fix?  One day I *will* ba able to afford more RAM, then
I will get LSC 3.0, and then I'll be able to use it!  :-)

Thanks.

-Ted (author of NumberTalk)

thk@cwi.nl (Tom H. Koornwinder) (11/05/88)

MacinTalk.h is OK with version 3.0. The crash I originally reported was
caused by a stupidity of mine. Sorry for having caused confusion.

		Tom Koornwinder

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (11/07/88)

In article <730072@hpcilzb.HP.COM> tedj@hpcilzb.HP.COM (Ted Johnson) writes:

>I don't have LSC 3.0, so I don't know if it still works.  It works
>fine with LSC 2.15 though.
>
>If anyone finds a bug in the header file and figures out the
>change to make it work with LSC 3.0, could you please e-mail
>me the fix?

I have compiled Number Talk under LSC 3.0, and it works just fine.

I offer one caveat, though:

There appears to be a bug that causes it to fail if it isn't on
the System disk. The first call to MacinTalk will return a "file not found"
code, and any subsequent call will cause a bomb.

The failure is this: When trying to open the MacinTalk driver, the glue
does an OpenResFile call. The system is unable to find the file if it's not
on the same disk. (My recollection is that it is supposed to find any file
in the System folder, but I can't remember where I read that.) I have had
similar problems with other software.

My workaround is to either move Number Talk to the system disk, or to move a
copy of MacinTalk to the application's folder. Either solves the
problem. Of course, you could also modify the program to set the working
directory to the system folder before the first call to MacinTalk.

I hope this helps.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM