[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Lightspeed Pascal

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steven James Bollinger) (11/08/88)

	I and a friend were working on a color version of ShowINIT.  After
posting an earlier flame about GetCIcon's problems, someone steered us
towards a revision by Paul Mercer posted on AppleLink.  I had a friend bring
it down for me and I assembled it under MPW.  After an uneventful assembly I
exited MPW and tried to run '.o convert', a program which would convert the
'.o' file produced by MPW into a library for use in LightSpeed Pascal (v1.11).
Much to my surprise, instead of a library, I garnered an error message.
'Files which contain computed references can not be converted.'  this surprised
me because the Black and White version had converted succesfully.  The color
version DOES convert to a Library in THINK C 3.01 (using the equivalent
converter).  I used the most recent version of the Pascal converter that
exists (to my knowledge), version 1.1.
	It really surprises me that I continue to stick with a company which
constantly hangs its Pascal customers out to dry in favor of c programmers.
It isn't that c programmers aren't deserving, but they have had many more
updates than LS Pascal has.  I suppose this will be rectified in LS Pascal
2.0, but I have long since given up belief in its existence.  Besides, good
intentions (LS Pascal 2.0) don't go as far as product (a working converter).

I'm just about fed up with all this.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/08/88)

Please pardon in advance any flames that I emit in the course of this posting.

In article <3f88979c.59b7@sauron.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steven James Bollinger) writes:
>Much to my surprise, instead of a library, I garnered an error message.
>'Files which contain computed references can not be converted.'  this surprised
>me because the Black and White version had converted succesfully.  The color

	The fact that one program converts and one doesn't means nothing.

	The reason that the Lightspeed Pascal .O converter cannot convert
the aforementioned .O file is due to the design of the Lightspeed Pascal
linker, which doesn't support computed references. The LightspeedC linker,
which is of newer design, does so, as far as I am aware.

>	It really surprises me that I continue to stick with a company which
>constantly hangs its Pascal customers out to dry in favor of c programmers.

	Frankly, this is a patently unfair statement. We ofer no favor towards
users of either language. It is true that upgrade patches and so forth have
been more abundantfor C than they have for Pascal, but this does not mean
that we hate Pascal programmers, or that we love C programmers, or that
we're trying to hang anyone out to dry. With respect to Pascal, we
have not been idle, and I resent any implication to the contrary (since I
am one of these non-idle programmers). It was our decision to concentrate
our effort on producing Lightspeed Pascal 2.0, which is superior in
all respects to competing products, AND to version 1.11
 rather than delay version 2 for the sake of providing intermediate  patches.

	I feel competent to say the above because (1) I am involved with the
new version of Pascal, and (2)  I am a Pascal programmer.

>updates than LS Pascal has.  I suppose this will be rectified in LS Pascal
>2.0, but I have long since given up belief in its existence.  Besides, good

	Assuming that you've filed your upgrade form, you'll have
version 2 in your hands extremely soon. (Unfortunately, I'm not
allowed to say when until it happens, but when I can say more, I will.)

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

netnews@caen.engin.umich.edu (CAEN Netnews) (11/09/88)

From: billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steven James Bollinger)

>        The fact that one program converts and one doesn't means nothing.

>        The reason that the Lightspeed Pascal .O converter cannot convert
>the aforementioned .O file is due to the design of the Lightspeed Pascal
>linker, which doesn't support computed references. The LightspeedC linker,
>which is of newer design, does so, as far as I am aware.

I figured that it was a limitation in the definition of the libraries and how
the linker handles them.  Revisions to the linker would be major, instead of
minor changes to the converter.  But that is still a problem.  Lightspeed
Pascal should have been revised to fix the problem long ago (at least a year).
I also only mentioned that the C converter would convert it to show that it
was not a corrupted file and that it is reasonable to expect a non-MPW
language to support computed references.

>>	It really surprises me that I continue to stick with a company which
>>constantly hangs its Pascal customers out to dry in favor of c programmers.
>
>	Frankly, this is a patently unfair statement. We ofer no favor towards
>users of either language. It is true that upgrade patches and so forth have
>been more abundantfor C than they have for Pascal, but this does not mean
>that we hate Pascal programmers, or that we love C programmers, or that
>we're trying to hang anyone out to dry. With respect to Pascal, we
>have not been idle, and I resent any implication to the contrary (since I
>am one of these non-idle programmers). It was our decision to concentrate
>our effort on producing Lightspeed Pascal 2.0, which is superior in
>all respects to competing products, AND to version 1.11
> rather than delay version 2 for the sake of providing intermediate  patches.

	I stand behind what I said in this case.  I feel you do provide favor
toward THINK C users.  I wouldn't call two major upgrades (1.0->3.0) and
various minor upgrades comparable to LS Pascal's 1 minor upgrade (1.0->1.1)
and a sub-minor upgrade (1.1->1.11, although close to my heart because I own
a Mac II).  And I wouldn't say you are idle (I have a friend who is betaing
LS Pascal 2.0), only that you were idle for too long.  If you care to disagree,
I would suggest that you respond in reference to the continuing (2 years now)
lack of cursor-key support, or the inablility to specify flags for CODE
resources generated or programs generated (right down to the good ole' bundle
bit).
	Also, I wouldn't complain about things so close to the release of
a major revision if I felt that the major revision were due soon.  I had
expected it at the end of September, but was disappointed, the end of October
was disappointing to me too.  I think you should have released revisions for the
old one (1.11) just before you began work on 2.0, in order to tide us over.

>>updates than LS Pascal has.  I suppose this will be rectified in LS Pascal
>>2.0, but I have long since given up belief in its existence.  Besides, good
>
>	Assuming that you've filed your upgrade form, you'll have
>version 2 in your hands extremely soon. (Unfortunately, I'm not
>allowed to say when until it happens, but when I can say more, I will.)

	I understand the gag order, and believe in not pre-announcing
products.  I admire the person who fired your previous ad agency for
pre-announcing THINK C 3.0.  But I can't even believe you when you say
extremely soon because being on a project always produces high hopes and great
expectations.  I am writing this message from Ann Arbor, Mi., and with
FullWrite, this town invented the term 'real soon now', so I have learned to
wait until I see something (actually, see it on shelves) before I believe it.

	I think it is best expressed by the following situation:  I have a
friend who betas LS Pascal 2.0, and he thinks I am some kind of programming
god.  He thinks so simply because I write a cdev with INIT portion (Ignisound)
in Lightspeed Pascal 1.11.  It amazes him that I could possibly write such an
animal in a language that has core routines that are essentially 3 years old.
On a better note, he wants me to give him my code so he can test it under
2.0 and report back any incompatibilities to you, which makes him a great
choice for a beta tester (hindsight is 20/20).

	I am not trying to become your adversary.  I did pick Lightspeed
Pascal as my developing language after I recieved no support from TML.
(Doing ANYTHING in TML gives you a sense of accomplishment, with its cryptic
instructions and lack of debugger.)  I still use it despite its creaking
joints and gray hairs.  I also know great things are afoot (if THINK C 3.0
is any indication).  I can best sum it up as I did on my summary line:
'Its not too little, its just too late'.

If 2.0 comes out within a week I'll feel real stupid.