[comp.sys.mac.programmer] AFP/ASP/.XPP???

gf0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory S. Fox) (11/16/88)

Is anyone reading this message versed in the ways of Appletalk ASP and
AFP protocol?  Of course, all you can get out of Inside Mac on the subject
of AFP is "look elsewhere".  What I would like to do is use .XPP to initiate
a connection to an Appleshare server.  I can only presume that this is
possible, but there are great voids of information which stand between me
and this much desired goal.  Example, how are user names and passwords
handled?  Can anyone direct me to the source of the appropriate literature?

Well, thank you.
-g

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (11/17/88)

In article <UXU6qO198k-08I=0tB@andrew.cmu.edu> gf0c+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gregory
S. Fox) writes:
>Is anyone reading this message versed in the ways of Appletalk ASP and
>AFP protocol?  Of course, all you can get out of Inside Mac on the subject
>of AFP is "look elsewhere".  What I would like to do is use .XPP to initiate
>a connection to an Appleshare server.  I can only presume that this is
>possible, but there are great voids of information which stand between me
>and this much desired goal.  Example, how are user names and passwords
>handled?  Can anyone direct me to the source of the appropriate literature?

You could always look in "AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) Engineering
Technical Notes".  You can get it from APDA.  The 17 Feb 87 version I have
had some bugs in it, but I imagine those have been worked out.  If you want
to use XPP directly, it's documented in "AppleTalk Manager Update", also
available from APDA.  The magic numbers for them are KNBAFP and KMSAMU
respectively.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"Those who restrain desire, so so because theirs is weak enough to be