[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacNosy & "The Debugger"

mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) (11/15/88)

"The Debugger" (an add-on to MacNosy, I think) was touted in the APDALog as a
source-level debugger that works with MPW C.  Is this true?  Have you used
it?  Did it work?

Please reply by E-mail, and I'll post a summary.  Thanks in advance.
--

Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net

beard@ux1.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (11/17/88)

In article <365@intek01.UUCP> mark@intek01.UUCP (Mark McWiggins) writes:
>"The Debugger" (an add-on to MacNosy, I think) was touted in the APDALog as a
>source-level debugger that works with MPW C.  Is this true?  Have you used
>it?  Did it work?
>
>Please reply by E-mail, and I'll post a summary.  Thanks in advance.
>--
>
>Mark McWiggins			UUCP:		uunet!intek01!mark
>DISCLAIMER: I could be wrong.	INTERNET:	intek01!mark@uunet.uu.net
>						(206) 455-9935

I have used The Debugger with LSC  with some success.  I now use
LSC's own debugger with even greater success. I would assume that  it would
work well enough with MPW C, anything would help!  I find that I get so much
more work done with LSC that MPW's UNIX like shell doesn't  make up for
its slowness.

Opinions, opinions...

Patrick Beard
beard@ux1.lbl.gov

rampil@cca.ucsf.edu (Ira Rampil) (11/17/88)

"The Debugger" is not actually an extension of Nosy (a static
disassembler), but rather a very nice, reasonably complete (at
last) debugging enviroment.  Like TMON, it comes in at boot time
or for particular applications.  Unlike TMON, DEBUGGER has a
very Mac-like windowing environment which is I think is quite
powerful and has saved my neck and my time many times.  It has
tables of all the system RECORD fields and can do user defined
ones as well.  It has trap and jump record, discipline and
programmable breakpoints etc.  It is not yet "source level"
unless you write in assembler, but it does use symbol tables
from MPW or Lightspeed to name procedures and globals.

In summary, I find it extremely useful and it was worth
the price (mailorder is $250-300).  The documents (yes, Jasik
finally has manuals), leave something to be desired, but I
understand Jasik is redoing them.

Ira Rampil
Dept of Anesthesia
UCSF

disclaimer: I know Jasik, and I'm still a satisfied customer. :^)