[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Lightspeed Fortran ???????

cn7gr8ag@ariel.unm.edu (11/18/88)

Being a satisfied Lightspeed C customer , I've come to wonder if
Symantec has anything planned with Fortran.  I really enyoy the
environment that Lightspeed C offers for code development and
being an engineer I do a lot of programming in Fortran (and don't have
a great deal of choise, often) I'd really like  have a similar system
for the majority of my programming work.

Considering the expansion of the Mac into the engineering world in ever
growing numbers, a Lightspeed Fortran might be just the ticket to help
reduce the development cycle for Fortran programs and make our lives
easier and programming more enjoyable.

Bill Rider

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (11/18/88)

In article <3964@charon.unm.edu> cn7gr8ag@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Bill Rider) writes:

>Considering the expansion of the Mac into the engineering world in ever
>growing numbers, a Lightspeed Fortran might be just the ticket to help
>reduce the development cycle for Fortran programs and make our lives
>easier and programming more enjoyable.

	I can't comment on future plans, and I really don't know what's planned
with respect to future language products. However, the decision to develop
and release a new product is dependent on these factors:

	- can it be done?
	- is the market large enough to make it worthwhile?

The primary function of a company like Symantec is to produce high-quality,
useful tools. Right up there in importance is the drive to stay in business.
In other words, if it proves profitable to produce a Fortran, we will
consider doing so.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: singer@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!singer
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/19/88)

> In article <3964@charon.unm.edu> cn7gr8ag@ariel.unm.edu.UUCP (Bill Rider) writes:
> >
> >Considering the expansion of the Mac into the engineering world in ever
> >growing numbers, a Lightspeed Fortran might be just the ticket to help
> >reduce the development cycle for Fortran programs and make our lives
> >easier and programming more enjoyable.

FORTRAN, like ot or not, is still used by ALOT of people in the
engineering community.  Not having a decent FORTRAN development system
(sufficiently MacIsh)  really hurts the Mac in terms of it's use in
scientific computing here at U of M.   People USE IBM-PC-XTs to write
software in FORTRAN even though they use Macs for almost all other
microcomputing applications.

The interfaces to compiler's such as Absofts (and hence Microsoft's) FORTRAN
are old, and non-intuitive.  Newer compiler's requiring MPW are nice but
still require MPW to run (not a selling opint for some people).  While the
compiler's themselves seem to be ok once you've got the source code into
them, the user interface leaves much to be desired.

What people are looking for is a sufficiently Mac-Ish development environment.
Companies like Absoft and others could take their compilers as they currently
stand and add integrated editors / linkers alot of people here would probably
switch from IBM-PC to Macintosh II as a standard engineerin microcomputer.

Apple's been trying to tout the Mac II (and Mac IIx) as a engineering
workstation, but until some better quality software appearsfor the machine (i.e a nice ftn compiler):q!

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (11/19/88)

n case my earlier message was garbled,  what i meant to say was:

If apple plans to market the Mac II (and IIx) as an engineering
workstation, it's in their best interest to have a nice (MacIsh)
fortran complier avaiable.

-dave falkenburg
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

jcl@hpausla.HP.COM (Jeff Laing) (11/21/88)

Rich wrote
>	I can't comment on future plans, and I really don't know what's planned
> with respect to future language products.

Might we see a LightspeedAsm? Imaging being able to write those assembler
routines in REAL assembler, rather than asm{} with its peculiarities.
Actually, I am amazed at the number of people I know who use LightspeedC
as their ASSEMBLER of choice....

>	- can it be done?

Could it be hard to do better than MDS?   MPW, I haven't seen, but I know
it has a steeper learning curve than Lightspeed C and so I doubt I will ever
worry about MPW-C (I bought MPW with TML Pascal-II; the price was right)

>	- is the market large enough to make it worthwhile?

Dunno.  You could write me down as one though.   8-)