[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TML Pascal vs. LSP 2.0

dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU (12/03/88)

Seeing as my LSP 1.11 is a bit out of date, it's time to consider the upgrade
possibilities:

	1) LSP 2.0 : [Note: I did _not_ receive an upgrade notice, at least
		      as of a week ago.... I registered my 1.0 package
		      in October 1987, so I think Think knows who I am...]
		Should I
			A) Order the $50 upgrade from Symantec (~$56 with
			tax and shipping) or
			B) But LSP 2.0 from MacConnection ?  (Haven't
			checked the price recently, but it was $65 + $3 for
			overnight shipping)  Which way will I get it faster ?
or
	2) Forget LSP and get TML Pascal II ?

Advantages that I see of (2) over (1).
I get the MPW shell, which is needed
for some other things that I'd like to run, including some other compilers.

Questions:
	Which compiler generates tighter code ? Faster code ?
(please include sources of all benchmarks, along with compliation options,
so we can interpert what we get, as I assume some of netters are interested
in this, too.)
	Will TML Pascal compile MacApp ?  (from a previous posting I gather
that the MPW Assembler (not included) is required to actaully make anything
run.)  Why does Symantec advertise Object Pascal support, then say MacApp
compatibility coming soon ?  (I _know_ that you don't have to support MacApp
to be an object-oriented language, but I do question the value of an Object
Pascal that can't compile the #1 Object Pascal program.)

---
Drew Dean
Internet: dean@xcssun.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!xcssun!dean

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/05/88)

In article <7962@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU () writes:

	Note that since I work for the competition, you should consider
carefully everything I say very carefully - don't take my word for it.
(Though I won't lie to you. :-)

	You're likely to get Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 faster if you order through
MacConnection, since to order the upgrade involves getting the form, filing
the form, having it processed, and having it shipped - about 2 weeks, in all.
MacConnection,  on the other hand, will ship it overnight.

>	Which compiler generates tighter code ? Faster code ?

	Without a doubt, Lightspeed Pascal 2.0. As soon as I find the
appropriate pages, I'll post complete speed and size comparisons, so you
can see for yourself, and I'll post a StuffIt of the sources we used,
so you can try for yourself.

>	Will TML Pascal compile MacApp ?  (from a previous posting I gather
	I've heard that it won't, but that TML has provided some fixes to make
it so; I haven't tried ot myself though.

>run.)  Why does Symantec advertise Object Pascal support, then say MacApp
>compatibility coming soon ?  (I _know_ that you don't have to support MacApp
>to be an object-oriented language, but I do question the value of an Object
>Pascal that can't compile the #1 Object Pascal program.)

	MacApp support in Lightspeed Pascal isn't an Object Pascal issue, it's
a porting issue; some source files need to be reorganized, since Lightspeed
Pascal doesn't support the $S directive, and some code needs to be modified,
since MacApp does strange things (like rely on code segments being named)
in the course of its memory management.

	At any rate, the ads aren't misleading. Object Pascal support does not
imply MacApp support,  and one doesn't NEED MacApp to write programs in
Object Pascal.

	I'll post benchmark sources and results as soon as I get my hands on
them; probably later this morning.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.