[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Lightspeed Pascal 2.0

mnkonar@srcsip.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) (07/08/88)

I read somwhere (MacWeek, I think) that a new version of LSP is comming out
soon.  Is this true?  Will it also need 2Megs of RAM?  Will it be less
flakey than LSP 1.11 on a Mac II?  Perhaps defender of the faith Rich Segal
could shed some light (or at least a warm glow) on the matter.  Personally,
I feel that running LSP 1.11 on a Mac II is quite a test of faith!
Any thoughts expressed above are my own; we are not paid to think. MNK

thecloud@pnet06.cts.com (Ken Mcleod) (07/09/88)

 Well, the slick ads for Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 are out. Here is a rundown
of new features:
   o New multi-pass optimizing compiler for smaller, faster code
   o 44,000 lines/minute on a MacII
   o Object Pascal support
   o Enhanced source level debugger
   o Relaxed size limitations, allowing 'virtually unlimited' program size
   o Configurable automatic formatting in editor (yeah!!!!!)
   o Source file compatibility with MPW
   o Converter for MPW .o files
   o 68881 and 68020 support

BUT...nothing is said about MultiFinder compatibility! hmmmmm......
Rich, please give us details. What will this upgrade cost me as a
registered owner of LSP 1.11? When will it be available? How do I
go about getting it?

Ken McLeod =========================     .......     ======================
UUCP: {crash uunet}!pnet06!thecloud     :.     .:    Chief Weapons of UNIX:
ARPA: crash!pnet06!thecloud@nosc.mil   :::.. ..:::   "Fear, surprise, and
INET: thecloud@pnet06.cts.com             ////        ruthless efficiency."

singer@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (07/14/88)

In article <5832@altaira.srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@ely.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>I read somwhere (MacWeek, I think) that a new version of LSP is comming out

	Never believe anything the press tells you. :-)

>soon.  Is this true?  Will it also need 2Megs of RAM?  Will it be less
>flakey than LSP 1.11 on a Mac II?  Perhaps defender of the faith Rich Segal
>could shed some light (or at least a warm glow) on the matter.  Personally,
>I feel that running LSP 1.11 on a Mac II is quite a test of faith!

	Defender of the faith Rich Segal won't say anything, but defender of
the faith Rich Siegel says:

	"Yes, there's a new release coming soon. My best guess is that it'll
need two MB only if you're planning to run under MultiFinder; otherwise,
the minimum configuration is 1 MB, two 800K floppies, hard disk strongly
recommended."

		Rich

schoaff@marduk.cs.cornell.edu (Peter Schoaff) (07/15/88)

>In article <5832@altaira.srcsip.UUCP> mnkonar@ely.UUCP (Murat N. Konar) writes:
>>I read somwhere (MacWeek, I think) that a new version of LSP is comming out
>>soon.  Is this true?  Will it also need 2Megs of RAM?  Will it be less
>>flakey than LSP 1.11 on a Mac II?  Perhaps defender of the faith Rich Segal
>>could shed some light (or at least a warm glow) on the matter.  Personally,
>>I feel that running LSP 1.11 on a Mac II is quite a test of faith!

In case you didn't see it (I don't know how many mags the ad went in)
the August MacUser says:
2.0 has multi-pass optimizing compiler
Object Pascal support
they improved the source level debugger
"Relaxed size limitations allow virtually unlimited program size." whatever
  that means
Source file compatibility with MPW, support for MPW object files
68881 math co-processor and 68020 support.

and now, for the good part
Suggested retail price $125.
Owners of version 1.11 or earlier please call 408/446-9994 for upgrade
information.  I'm calling this afternoon, so I don't know what their
policy is yet.

L8r dudes

| P. Chris Schoaff | We are the coffee generation, we can't afford cocaine  |
|                  | We need a healthy dose to make it through the day      |
| schoaff@         | Don't Care about nuclear war or poverty or pain        |
|   cs.cornell.edu | We are the coffee generation and life is just a game.  |

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (12/06/88)

I'd like to put in a few good words for Lightspeed Pascal 2.0, considering the
volume of self-righteous whining that's been going on the past few weeks (but
it won't write my applications FOR me...). My update arrived well before the
net lead me to believe, and with little or no work I converted my projects and
they work fine.  A few observations:

- MULTIFINDER!  ALL of my development tools (Lightspeed, ResEdit, Edit/Asm,
InsideMac, Word [for documentation] and the-last-built-version-of-my-app) are
corresident and clustered under my Apple menu. I've been wanting this for
years...

- The new editor is great.  Admittedly, those who were upset by the old
pretty-printing won't be pleased with the new one: all of the formatting
changes (and the "customizable source-code formats") are superficial. But  the
new cursor-key commands (which work on character, line, page, lexical, and
block levels), as well as the popup menu in the title bar which lets you jump
to any routine in the file, make navigation such a breeze I've all but stopped
relying on hardcopy. (Printing, as far as I was concerned, was the only place
the pretty-printing offended me: what a waste of paper!)

- I encounter the ubiquitous "Resource not found (-192)" error frequently. I
remember these from v1.0 ... the least helpful error message LSP ever produces
(except for blind crashes, of course).  At any rate, a frequent cause for it in
my first weeks with 2.0 has been forgetting to run the library converter on my
machine-language subroutine files.

- Code size improvement and speed, despite net accusations to the contrary, ARE
immediately tangible in commercial (i. e. no TEXT or DRAWING window)
applications. One project I'm working on dropped from 180 to 170K, the other
from 62 to 50 (!). Compile time is noticably faster, too.

- MAJOR ANNOYANCE: Lightspeed stamps its own thumb-print on every application
you build. Go into ResEdit and LO! An extra resource not in your rez-file,
called--oddly enough--'LSP' (Id#2000; Size 18; locked+preload). If you zap it,
you zap your application too... What's the deal with this? It seems like a
completely gratuitous bit of egoism on LSP's part. The resource data is fixed
(never written to), and gets loaded at the base of your globals somewhere in
Code Seg 1 (or wherever your main program is...). It could just as easily be
stored as constant data in the CODE seg, and referenced appropriately.
Considering the licensing agreement doesn't even require the old 'portions
copyright THINK technologies,' there's no reason for this sort of attitude on
the part of the compiler.  In situations where you want CONTROL over your
application (as I assume most commercial app writers do), having LSP play with
the resource manager, the heap, and so forth is unacceptable.  Especially if
there's no explanation other than the "oh leave that there I don't know what
it does but it won't work without it" rationale.  The next virus author is
sure to name his or her nVIR resource as 'LSP'...

Lots of other good features (conditional assembly finally offers a clean way to
integrate debugging-support code; LightsBug 2 seems real nice), some bad (the
new 'LINK error' window doesn't help you find what segment or source file the
bad-link reference occurred in...). If LSP 3.0 offers as much of a change as
2.0, I'll keep on upgradin'.

--
+-------------------++-UUCP: ...!rugers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw------------------+
| NICHOLAS JACKIW   || Internet: jackiw@cs.swarthmure.edu                   |

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/06/88)

In article <2219@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) writes:

>- MAJOR ANNOYANCE: Lightspeed stamps its own thumb-print on every application
>you build. Go into ResEdit and LO! An extra resource not in your rez-file,
>called--oddly enough--'LSP' (Id#2000; Size 18; locked+preload). If you zap it,
>you zap your application too... What's the deal with this? It seems like a
>completely gratuitous bit of egoism on LSP's part. The resource data is fixed

	Since you don't have a clue as to what the LSP resource does, why don't
you ASK, instead of assuming?

	As it happens, the LSP resource is for runtimeerror recovery;
when a Pascal runtime error occurs (range checking, overflow,
file i/o error, etc), control is passed to the LSP resource. The standard
LSP resource simply does a DebugStr which reports the error. It is possible
for a programmer to write a different LSP resource which reports the error
in a nicer fashion.

>new 'LINK error' window doesn't help you find what segment or source file the
>bad-link reference occurred in...). If LSP 3.0 offers as much of a change as
>2.0, I'll keep on upgradin'.

	For a failed link, the Link Errors window simply lists the undefined
symbols. However, if you then choose "Check Link", the Link Errors window
will show you the files from which the undefined symbols are referenced.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

odawa@well.UUCP (Michael Odawa) (12/09/88)

As one who has the Lightspeed Pascal development system to build several
major products over the past year, I have been a great fan of LightsBug, the
LSP debugger.  In my estimation it has been and remains (despite what
follows) the finest source-level debugger on the Macintosh.  Similarly,
Think's Technical Support staff has ranked far above that of any other tool
provider.

With release of version 2.0 my esteem for LSP has continued to grow.  New
facilities have been added, and means have been found even to extend the
functionality of LightsBug.  However, there appears to have been a single
step backward.  Previous versions of LightsBug's heap display arranged
blocks within each zone in physical (i.e., address) order, making memory
management nearly simple.  The current 2.0 version appears to have abandoned
this sorting, displaying blocks in a seemingly random but definitely not
numerical order, rendering LightsBug practically useless for sophisticated
memory management.

Given the great care with which the whole LSP package has been constructed,
one would believe there must have been a good reason for sacrificing this
essential feature.  I wonder if anyone (Rich, are you there?) would be able
to explain why it was dumped overboard.