[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Smalltalks for the Mac....

dean@uranus.Berkeley.EDU (12/03/88)

I know of the following Smalltalks for the Mac...Does anyone know of any
others, and/or have any comments about any of the following:
	Apple's Smalltalk-80 v0.4 from APDA (last version I know of...)
	Digitalk's Smalltalk V/Mac (announced in August, is it shipping yet ?)
I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?
(I have a Mac SE, 1Mb RAM :-(, 20Mb hard disk, and also wonder if this is
enough computer to run any real Smalltalk on...I'm a Smalltalk total novice
but am interested in OOP....)
Thanks for any advice,

Drew Dean
Internet: dean@xcssun.berkeley.edu
UUCP: ...!ucbvax!xcssun!dean
FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (12/04/88)

In article <7963@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, dean@uranus.Berkeley.EDU writes:
> I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
> prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?
> (I have a Mac SE, 1Mb RAM :-(, 20Mb hard disk, and also wonder if this is
> enough computer to run any real Smalltalk on...I'm a Smalltalk total novice
> but am interested in OOP....)
> Thanks for any advice,
>
> Drew Dean
> Internet: dean@xcssun.berkeley.edu
> UUCP: ...!ucbvax!xcssun!dean
> FROM Disclaimers IMPORT StandardDisclaimer;

 Actually, ParcPlace has a nice site licesnsing system if your in an academic
environment.  (one big fee for the first platform + small additional fees
for each new platform)  Through this system, we're going to have SmallTalk
avaiable on all our Mac II/IIx machines for a small incremental cost (we
already were buying it for the Apollos and Suns)

I'd suggets conatacting ParcPlace for more details.

-dave
--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (12/04/88)

In article <7963@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU>, dean@uranus.Berkeley.EDU writes:
> Apple's Smalltalk-80 v0.4 from APDA (last version I know of...)

The latest HOOPLA reported that Apple had cancelled their plans to
produce a "MacAppized" Smalltalk.  Drat.

> Digitalk's Smalltalk V/Mac (announced in August, is it shipping yet ?)

They started shipping November 18th.  Computerware is planning on
handling it, MacConnection didn't know last time I checked.

> I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
> prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?

Actually, they do, but only for orders placed through the university.
I've been bothering ParcPlace and National Instruments (makers of
LabVIEW) about student pricing, but I would say the chance of anything
happening is about 0.

Charles Allen			cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu

georg@exunido.uucp (Georg A. M. Heeg) (12/06/88)

In article <7963@pasteur.Berkeley.EDU> dean@xcssun.Berkeley.EDU () writes:
>I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
>prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?

Yes, discount is available for educational institutions and their individuals:
app. 149 US $ for the US, 399 DM (incl. VAT) for Germany, 356,14 DM for
Austria, BeNeLux and Switzerland (excl VAT)

Furthermore there is a site license programme called ParcRanger. For details
please contact your local ParcPlace agent.

>(I have a Mac SE, 1Mb RAM :-(, 20Mb hard disk, and also wonder if this is
>enough computer to run any real Smalltalk on...I'm a Smalltalk total novice
>but am interested in OOP....)

2 MB main memory is the very least figure to bring up Smalltalk-80 version 2.3.
More memory (4 MB) is strongly recommented for medium size applications.

In this area please contact me, elsewhere (US, Canada,...) please contact
ParcPlace Systems, 2400 Geng Road, Palo Alto, Ca, 94303,
e-mail: sales@ParcPlace.com,  phone: x1-415) 859-1000.

Georg Heeg
Smalltalk-80 Systems
Baroper Str. 337
D-4600 Dortmund 50
phone: (x49-231) 75 13 26
e-mail: georg@unido.{uucp,bitnet}

In article <1691@pur-phy> cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) writes:
>> I know Parc Place Systems also has one, but the price ($995 last I heard) is
>> prohibitive, unless they have some _very_ good educational pricing ?
>
>Actually, they do, but only for orders placed through the university.
>I've been bothering ParcPlace and National Instruments (makers of
>LabVIEW) about student pricing, but I would say the chance of anything
>happening is about 0.

Actually ParcPlace policy has been changed in September, so it is worth to
contact them again

Georg Heeg
Smalltalk-80-Systems
Baroper Str. 337
4600 Dortmund 50

MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com (Stephan - Somogyi) (12/07/88)

Another Smalltalk implementation for the Mac is Smalltalk/V from
Digitalk.

Since I am currently a Smalltalk neophyte, I cannot say how good it is
from the purely Smalltalk point of view, but I like the docs quite a
lot. It comes with a comprehensive set of tutorials as well as quite a
bit of source. The entirety of Smalltalk/V (except for the lowest
level primitives) is in Smalltalk, so you can modify to your heart's
content.

When asked to compare with Smalltalk-80, the Digitalk people said that
the list price is $199 (I don't know the street price). They also said
that Smalltalk-80 comes with more methods and classes, but that those
that Smalltalk/V lacked could be generated fairly easily by someone
who knew Smalltalk well.

Digitalk's address is:

Digitalk, Inc.
9841 Airport Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90045
(213) 645-1082

Basically, I can't say which of the products are better, but
Smalltalk/V seems to offer most of the functionality at a fraction of
the price.

Stephan

<- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - ->
Stephan Somogyi
Software Engineer
MacUser Labs
950 Tower Lane, 18th Floor
Foster City, CA 94404

...sun!cup.portal.com!MacUserLabs or MacUserLabs@cup.portal.com

BIX: mulabs                       CIS: 72511,16
MacNET: MULABS                    FAX: (415) 378-5675
AppleLink: X1058

'The early worm deserves the bird.'

The opinions expressed above are mine.

cca@pur-phy (Charles C. Allen) (12/10/88)

Smalltak/V Mac is available for $150 from APDA.  As of 88 Dec 9
they're backordered by a week or so.  APDA can be reached at

	290 SW 43rd St.
	Renton, WA  98055
	206/251-6548

Charles Allen			cca@newton.physics.purdue.edu