[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSC 3.01 & 68881 linking problems

strasser@murdu.OZ (Mike Strasser) (12/08/88)

I have a program which goes fine on our Mac II without any 68881 stuff.
But when I try to use the 68881 the link fails because it can't find the
exp(), pow(), sqrt() etc. functions.  I have checked 68020 & 68881 code
generation; included Math881, stdio881 and unix881 libraries; and
defined the symbols _ERRORCHECK_ and _MC68881_ in my global #include
file.  From what I can see in the manuals, that should do.

Am I missing something obvious?  I will scour the manuals tonight.

As an aside, does anyone know why the "stars" in the About... display
don't work on a Mac II?
Mike Strasser                ACSnet, CSnet:  strasser@murdu.oz
                             Internet:       strasser%murdu.oz@uunet.uu.net
Forestry Section
University of Melbourne
Creswick, Victoria.  3363    Phone: (053) 45 2405
A u s t r a l i a                   +61 53 45 2405

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/09/88)

In article <1499@murdu.OZ> strasser@murdu.OZ (Mike Strasser) writes:
>defined the symbols _ERRORCHECK_ and _MC68881_ in my global #include
>file.  From what I can see in the manuals, that should do.

	If you set _ERRORCHECK_, you need to recompile Math881. To
do this:

	- open the Math881 project
	- hold the Option key, press the mouse in the title bar
		of the project window, and pull down "config.h"
	- #define _ERRORCHECK_
	- choose "Bring Up To Date" from the Project menu
	- open your own project
	- choose "Make", then click "Use Disk", and then press Return

>As an aside, does anyone know why the "stars" in the About... display
>don't work on a Mac II?

	The stars do work on a Mac II, but only in 1-bit mode. This is
because (for speed) the code writes directly to the window's portBits.
This doesn't quite work in multi-bit bitmaps...

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.

suitti@haddock.ima.isc.com (Stephen Uitti) (12/10/88)

>>As an aside, does anyone know why the "stars" in the About... display
>>don't work on a Mac II?
>
>	The stars do work on a Mac II, but only in 1-bit mode. This is
>because (for speed) the code writes directly to the window's portBits.
>This doesn't quite work in multi-bit bitmaps...
>		--Rich

	I did see some application where the about box gave Think C
some credit (it was before 3.0 came out...).  It does the stars effect
correctly with multiple-bit bitmaps turned on.  It might have been
Vision Lab, or Giffer.  These programs deal with multiple-bit screens
for everything.  Anyway, though it is a small point, it can be done.

	Stephen.

mdr@reed.UUCP (Mike Rutenberg) (12/11/88)

In article <1499@murdu.OZ> strasser@murdu.OZ (Mike Strasser) writes:
 >But when I try to use the 68881 the link fails because it can't find the
 >exp(), pow(), sqrt() etc. functions.  I have checked 68020 & 68881 code
 >generation; included Math881, stdio881 and unix881 libraries; and
 >defined the symbols _ERRORCHECK_ and _MC68881_ in my global #include
 >file.

I had the same problem, as did a colleague, and then we discovered, OOPS...

You need to make sure you #define _MC68881_ before before before you
#include <math.h>.  It should work fine if you do that.

Mike
--
Mike Rutenberg    Reed College, Portland Oregon   (503)239-4434