[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MouseDown under MultiFinder

bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) (12/13/88)

I've written some Mac applications in Lightspeed C 3.0
on a MacII and when I run under Multifinder, mouse clicks
on a window that's not owned by my application *seem* to
be generating more than one mousedown event. I've been
less successful than usual at tracking down what's happening
and, if there's a clue in the Programmer's Guide to Multifinder,
I missed it. I currently return from my HandleMouseDown routine
as soon as I detect a "foreign" window, but still I get further
mousedown events, perhaps as many as 9. I have *not* checked
the box that tells the system that I'm "Multifinder-Aware",
since I'm not (but it's fully a "well-behaved" application in
every sense). Can someone suggest where I should focus my
attention to solve the problem? Thanks.
--Bruce Ballard
  bwb@allegra.att.com
PS Thanks to the 9 people who helped with my menu manager problem
   in September: it was universally pointed out that if the system
   can't save the bits behind a pulldown menu, it'll simple generate
   an Update event. Clearly, MultiFinder and color screens can conspire
   to create this situation (as they had in my case).

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (12/14/88)

In article <14327@andante.UUCP> bwb@andante.UUCP (Bruce Ballard) writes:
>I've written some Mac applications in Lightspeed C 3.0
>on a MacII and when I run under Multifinder, mouse clicks
>on a window that's not owned by my application *seem* to
>be generating more than one mousedown event. I've been
[more of the same followed]
Do you handle DAs correctly?  MF will pretend to pick a DA when it switches
you out, and will keep trying until you acknowledge it (up to about 5 tries, I
think).

| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |