[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSP Printing Anomoly

dalea@fai.UUCP (Dale M. Arends) (12/10/88)

I recently received THINK's Lightspeed Pascal 2.0 and am having a minor
problem.

While printing a source file to my Imagewriter I, if the listing is over two
pages in length, immediately after the first form feed, and occasionally after
later form feeds, the system thinks the printer is not responding and puts up
an Alert telling me to check the printer and click OK when it is ready.  If I
then click OK, even without touching the printer or cables, the printing
continues.

This only happens at form feeds (and not ALL form feeds); only in LSP Pascal,
not in any other application except the previous versions of LightSpeed Pascal.

No data is being lost from the printout.  It is just annoying having to sit
through a listing to hit RETURN occasionally.

I am running a Mac Plus with the latest system software (but earlier versions
did it also, only with LSP).

Has anyone else seen this problem?  Is my Imagewriter allergic to Pascal?

Thanks,
Dale

--
		Dale M. Arends  (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		dalea@fai.com

The opinions expressed herein do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.
They are entirely my own if they make sense and I disavow them if they don't.

parent@Apple.COM (Shean Parent) (12/14/88)

In article <1198@fai.UUCP>, dalea@fai.UUCP (Dale M. Arends) writes:
> While printing a source file to my Imagewriter I, if the listing is over two
> pages in length, immediately after the first form feed, and occasionally after
> later form feeds, the system thinks the printer is not responding and puts up O
> an Alert telling me to check the printer and click OK when it is ready.  If I
> then click OK, even without touching the printer or cables, the printing
> continues.

This is caused by the Mac timing out waiting for the ImageWriter. The Mac is
sending data much faster then the printer can respond and so the Mac gets told
to wait. After about 30 seconds of waiting the Mac times out and puts up the
alert. There is currently no work around to this problem but you could find
where this value is stored and patch it. (I would try do an ATB on write
from MacsBugs with a conditional statment to make sure that the proper port
is being addressed and then look at the surounding code to see who is checking
tickcount and what value they are comparing it to).

Sean

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (12/14/88)

In article <1198@fai.UUCP> dalea@fai.fai.com (Dale M. Arends) writes:
>While printing a source file to my Imagewriter I, if the listing is over two
>pages in length, immediately after the first form feed, and occasionally after
>I am running a Mac Plus with the latest system software (but earlier versions
>did it also, only with LSP).

	Hm. Just for information, what version of the ImageWriter driver
are you using?

	R.
Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.