[comp.sys.mac.programmer] the desk scrap under multifinder

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (12/16/88)

Help. I have every piece of documentation except the one I need, of course,
the "Multifinder Development Package", or whatever it's called. Basically,
I need to set up a primitive communication between two applications, one
in the background, using the desk scrap. Under Multifinder the two
applications appear to have separate scraps, but there some technical
nodes refer to a SystemEdit() call which sounds like the possible answer
to this problem. Any documentation on this would be appreciated.

Please do NOT send me pontifications on how I am misusing the scrap manager,
and how everything will be wiped out by an unplanned call to ZeroScrap().
When Apple installs some reasonable interprocess communication, I call
ditch this tom foolery...

 -Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Labs
 University of Pittsburgh
 km@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu

goldman@Apple.COM (Phil Goldman) (12/17/88)

In article <1881@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU> km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) writes:
> [Details of using scrap manager for IPC]
>
>Please do NOT send me pontifications on how I am misusing the scrap manager,
>and how everything will be wiped out by an unplanned call to ZeroScrap().
>When Apple installs some reasonable interprocess communication, I call
>ditch this tom foolery...

While it is true that Apple does not officially enforse an IPC mechanism yet,
there are several ways to do it.  The one mentioned above is a very poor
one, though, as it could ruin the user's notion of what data is in the
clipboard.  A safer (and easier) way would be to use shared memory in the
system heap.

-Phil Goldman
Apple Computer