[net.micro] hardware for "Dragon's Lair"

rbn%brl-bmd@sri-unix.UUCP (08/05/83)

From:      Ron Natalie <rbn@brl-bmd>

----- Forwarded message # 1:

Date: Thu, 4 Aug 83 03:03 PDT
From: "Glasser Alan"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: hardware for "Dragon's Lair"
To: info-micro-request@brl.arpa

I've just seen an arcade video game called "Dragon's Lair" which has
a quality of graphics at least an order of magnitude better than any
computer-generated images I've ever seen, and at least comparable to
the best, most painstakingly hand-drawn animation I've seen.  The detail,
shading, expression, and speed of animation are astounding, not to
mention the humor with which it is done.  Has anyone else out there
seen this game?  Does anyone have an idea what kind of hardware they
use?  Is there some simple trick they're using, or is this really based
on much more advanced hardware than anything I'm aware of?

----- End of forwarded messages

"GlasserAlan"@LLL-MFE.ARPA@sri-unix.UUCP (08/05/83)

smith@nrl-aic@sri-unix.UUCP (08/05/83)

From:  Russ Smith <smith@nrl-aic>

With respect to "Dragon's Lair"...If this is the game I think it is,
it's done using a video disk. It looks as good as the best animation
you've seen because that's what it is. Each possible change in scene (i.e.,
fight-no fight, live-get killed, go through the left door-go through the
right door, etc.) has been actually created and stored at a quickly
addressable location on a computer-controlled video disk. As the player
makes a selection (there really aren't that many to choose from) the
computer accesses and displays the appropriate images (and sound). This
quite probably is the way future games will go (animators LOVE it!). I
believe someone once did something similar with a complete traversal of
Aspen, Colorado. You could sit in a car simulator and drive around the
streets of Aspen. No matter which street you turned down, the correct
scene would be shown. I'm not sure what happened if you tried to drive on
the sidewalk...

Russ <Smith@nrl-aic>

earl@brl-vld@sri-unix.UUCP (08/05/83)

From:      Earl Weaver (VLD/VMB) <earl@brl-vld>

The Aspen thing was done by the MIT folks and shown at SIGGRAPH in 1980(?).
The paper is in one of the conference proceedings.  As I recall, one could
even make a 180 or a 360 deg turn.  They also had 4 "maps" of the place--each
at a different season.  One could drive down a street in summer, and switch
to winter with snow--at the same point in the street.  Unfortunately, they
could not persuade everybody in town at the time to come back at the next
season so EVERYTHING would be the same (except for the weather): the same
cars, people, etc.

mar%mit-borax@sri-unix.UUCP (08/11/83)

From:  Mark A. Rosenstein <mar@mit-borax>

Dragon's Lair uses a videodisc player with pre-recorded animated sequences
for its display.  It pauses whenever the player has to make a choice because
the laserdisc must seek a different track depending on your choice.  This
technique has been used at ARCMAC here at MIT for some time.  They have a
system which uses two identical videodiscs so that while one is playing the
other can seek ahead to the next sequence, eliminated must of the pauses in
the animation.
                                        -Mark