[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSC Toolbox prototypes?

liberte@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu (12/17/88)

I am using LSC 3.0 with Require Prototypes turned on.  This is great
for all the functions I define.  But prototypes are not required or
provided for the Toolbox routines, except for a few functions that
return non-ints.  This is terrible.  I expected THINK to include
Toolbox prototypes with LSC.

I was getting crashes (very annoying) and suspected I was missing some
'&' somewhere.  So I declared a few prototypes for Toolbox routines
that have var parameters, like SetPt.  Well, sure enough, it was
an argument to SetPt.

LSC only provides partial checks of Toolbox routine calls.  If an
actual argument is the same size as the formal argument, then LSC lets
it go.  This is not nearly enough checking.  C is a dangerous language
(should have been called noose), but I am forced to use it, so I would
like to use all the safty features I can.

So, does anyone have prototypes built for all the Toolbox routines?
Please post!  This would be a very valuable time saver.

Dan LaLiberte
liberte@ncsa.uiuc.edu

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (12/18/88)

Stew Rubinstein at Harvard did a full set of prototypes, up through Inside
Mac Vol4.  They are (were) available from SUMX via anonymous ftp in the
info-mac directory as: MacProtos.h

Does anyone have the prototypes for Inside Mac Vol.5?  I'd like to get
them if so.

--- David Phillip Oster            --"When we replace the mouse with a pen,
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --3 button mouse fans will need saxophone
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --lessons." - Gasee

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (12/19/88)

In article <900015@zaphod> liberte@zaphod.ncsa.uiuc.edu writes:
|So, does anyone have prototypes built for all the Toolbox routines?
|Please post!  This would be a very valuable time saver.

Yes, I have them, but I can't post them.

For MPW 2.0.2 and previously, the APDA catalog always included an
inexpensive MPW related disk containing just the interface (for
Pascal) and header (for C) files, if I'm not mistaken.  If a similar
product is available for MPW 3, as I assume it will be after the
release, and it might be for the beta version, it will contain
prototypes for every toolbox routine (as well as for every system call
requiring glue and some other stuff).

	/JBL

UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

fjo@ttrdf.UUCP (Frank Owen ) (12/20/88)

in article <27160@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU>, oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) says:

> Stew Rubinstein at Harvard did a full set of prototypes, up through Inside

I think this set of LightSpeed C prototypes would be of general usefulness
to many of us here on the net who DO NOT have access to the SUMEX ftp
files.

Could someone please post these?

Thanks.

--
Frank Owen (fjo@ttrdf)  312-982-2182
AT&T Bell Laboratories

clubmac@runx.ips.oz (Macintosh Users Group) (12/23/88)

In article <27160@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>Stew Rubinstein at Harvard did a full set of prototypes, up through Inside
>Mac Vol4.  They are (were) available from SUMX via anonymous ftp in the
>info-mac directory as: MacProtos.h
>
>Does anyone have the prototypes for Inside Mac Vol.5?  I'd like to get
>them if so.
>
>--- David Phillip Oster

Could you post the file here? The rest of the world can't request it from
SUMX.

Merry XMAS,
Jason Haines - President, Club Mac
Australia's largest Macintosh Users Group, with over 1500 members.

Phone Home:  011-61-2-73-1016
OZ Post:     Box 213, Holme Building, Sydney University, NSW, 2006, Australia
Internet:    clubmac@runx.ips.oz.au    UUCP: uunet!runx.ips.oz.au!clubmac