[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Fooling with mcky: DRAT!

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (12/31/88)

Concerning one's ability to speed up the mouse:

Yes, the MOUSE cdev code slaps the appropriate system 'mcky' resource into
PRAM (checking whether the string 'Horowitz' is 36 bytes before the cursor-
updating VBL task first: gawd I love browsing system software). Unfortunately,
the particular mcky resource loaded is equal to ten less than the ID of the
Control Panel setting.  This gives us mcky#0=DITL#10='Very Slow', mcky#4=
DITL#14='Fast'. What's unfortunate about this is that the mcky's ascend
numerically in contents, from #0=$0104070A0D0F10FF to #4=$FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
While you can think of values less than $010407.., you can't get much higher
than $FFFF. This implies that while clever clueless hacking might be able
to SLOW down the mouse even more, the FAST setting in the control panel is
going to remain as fast as a mcky will allow.

Anyone want to rewrite the entire interrupt-tracking procedure? You could
call your new resource format 'MITY' (:-O).

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (01/01/89)

In article <2273@ilium.cs.swarthmore.edu> jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nicholas R Jackiw) writes:
>Concerning one's ability to speed up the mouse:
>
>Control Panel setting.  This gives us mcky#0=DITL#10='Very Slow', mcky#4=
>DITL#14='Fast'. What's unfortunate about this is that the mcky's ascend
>numerically in contents, from #0=$0104070A0D0F10FF to #4=$FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFF.
>While you can think of values less than $010407.., you can't get much higher
>than $FFFF. This implies that while clever clueless hacking might be able
>to SLOW down the mouse even more, the FAST setting in the control panel is
>going to remain as fast as a mcky will allow.

This is reversed.  The higher the number the slower, that is the more you
need to move the mouse before the multiplier "kicks in".  $FF...FF means the
the motion will always be 1:1, unless you can move the mouse 255 pixels very
quickly.  At the other extreme, 01...01 will always multiply the motion by 8.

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
holland%ti-csl@csnet-rela

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.