[comp.sys.mac.programmer] VBLS are OK above BufPtr

imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu (Chuck Lukaszewski) (12/31/88)

The .Sony and .Sound drivers, which are located in ROM (i.e. above $400000)
both install VBLs during the course of their operation.  I have looked at
the code for both and neither relocates the VBL task.  Rather, the actual
address of the routine is put into the Vertical Retrace Queue element.

I am loathe to believe that the VBL Task Handler has a special test that
permits VBLs below BufPtr and above ROMBase.  Not only does it seem pointless
to create a VBL desert anywhere in memory, but also the instruction waste
would be ludicrous, even for Apple :-).  So it seems safe to say that
VBLs are safe above BufPtr.  Anyone from Apple care to comment?

It also occurs to me that I have seen _VInstall and _VRemove in the .MPP or
.ATP driver, which are also in ROM.

Chuck Lukaszewski          imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu               612 789 0931

tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) (01/02/89)

In article <10606@umn-cs.CS.UMN.EDU> imp@crayview.msi.umn.edu (Chuck
Lukaszewski) writes:
>I am loathe to believe that the VBL Task Handler has a special test that
>permits VBLs below BufPtr and above ROMBase.  Not only does it seem pointless
>to create a VBL desert anywhere in memory, but also the instruction waste
>would be ludicrous, even for Apple :-).  So it seems safe to say that
>VBLs are safe above BufPtr.  Anyone from Apple care to comment?

Probably not, but I will.  The situation I referred to was in the 64K (pre-
Mac-Plus) ROM, and was fixed in the 128K (Mac Plus) ROM.  It is of interest
only to those who wish to be compatible with the old ROMs.

>It also occurs to me that I have seen _VInstall and _VRemove in the .MPP or
>.ATP driver, which are also in ROM.

This is true in the 128K ROM, but not in the 64K ROM.
--
Tim Maroney, Consultant, Eclectic Software, sun!hoptoad!tim
"If you vote for clowns, you have no right to complain that only clowns