[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Bug in Lightspeed Pascal 2.0

keough@mbunix.mitre.org (Jerry E. Keough) (01/06/89)

There is a somewhat serious bug in version 2.0 of Lightspeed Pascal
that everyone should know about. Everytime you execute your program
within Lightspeed, the system heap will expand by three handles
totalling about 1K; this space cannot be recovered until you reboot
the system.

The problem will manifest itself, usually, by the system just
locking up on you - most likely occurring when you try running
your program about the 20th time or so.

I called Symantec about it, and they acknowledged the bug. Their
workaround is exactly as I said - reboot the machine. They are
working on the problem.

A suggestion, then, for Lightspeed users: keep the LightBug window
open with the system heap displayed. When the free+purgeable space
gets down to about 1-2K, do a reboot.

By the way, despite the problem, I am very pleased with the product
and think Symantec has done a great job with it.

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/09/89)

In article <43421@linus.UUCP> keough@mbunix (Keough) writes:
>The problem will manifest itself, usually, by the system just
>locking up on you - most likely occurring when you try running
>your program about the 20th time or so.

	Other manifestations of the bug are an unprompted bomb code 25.
As system heap space gets low you will also notice that the  editor
slows down considerably. These are both warning signals.

>open with the system heap displayed. When the free+purgeable space
>gets down to about 1-2K, do a reboot.

	Another workaround (provided you have the memory): run Lightspeed
Pascal under MultiFinder.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.