[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How to find total memory

stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) (01/12/89)

Hi All.  Is there a prescribed way to find out how much memory a
a Macintosh may have (total memory)?.

Like any beginner at programming, the answer is probably staring me
right in the face but I can't see it.  I'm using LSC 3.01.  If anyone
would care to e-mail me a few pointers (no pun intended.. really :-))
I'd very much appreciated it.

Thanks in advance,

Stu.

__Paths to my door:_______________________
microsoft!stuartb@beaver.cs.washington.edu  -   Usual disclaimer, that all
microsoft!stuartb@uw-beaver.arpa            -   the above is pure fantasy
microsoft!stuartb@uunet.UU.NET              -       and Microsoft only
[DE01HB]stuartb@DASNET#   {from AppleLink}  -    gave me the Mountain Dew
stuartb@microsoft.uucp    {well connected}  -      to dream it all in a
D2012 {@applelink.apple.com - shared acct}  -        caffeine haze :-)

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (01/12/89)

In article <245@microsoft.UUCP> stuartb@microsoft.UUCP (Stuart Burden) writes:
>Hi All.  Is there a prescribed way to find out how much memory a
>a Macintosh may have (total memory)?.

Before MultiFinder, you could just read MemTop.  Now, MF diddles
MemTop to spoof applications that depend on it in perverse ways.
There is a new method described (incorrectly) in The Macintosh
Programmer's Guide to MultiFinder (6/3/88) with a correction noted in
Tech Note 205.  I haven't got the former, but what I glean from the
latter is that _MFMemTop returns a pointer to the top of physical RAM.

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)