[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Beginning Programmer Seeks Help

david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak) (01/12/89)

    Ladies and Gents---

    After happily playing with my Mac for about four years now, I'm
teaching myself how to program it (using LSP 2.0; I'm also teaching myself
PASCAL).  I have a good PASCAL book, Symantac's "Just Enough Pascal" (which
isn't, quite), and five (count 'em) volumes of "Inside Macintosh."  The
problem is, the PASCAL book has nothing to do with the Mac, JEP teaches you
little about window manipulation, QuickDraw, or file management, and "IM,"
while exhaustive, could be made about 100% better through the judicious
employment of examples (Here's how to refresh your windows after you've
re-sized one, etc.).

    My question, then, is what other tutorial/instructional resources are
available for the Mac neophyte?  "Macintosh Revealed" looks like a
possibility, but how reliable is it?  I have Apple's "Programmer's
Introduction to the Macintosh" on order at a local bookstore (nobody ever
seems to have it in stock); will that be helpful?  I'd sure appreciate any
pointers y'all might be able to provide.

    Cheers.

					    --- das

yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu (Ross Yahnke, MACC) (01/13/89)

In article <395@rondo.randvax.UUCP>, david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak) writes...

>    My question, then, is what other tutorial/instructional resources are
>available for the Mac neophyte?  "Macintosh Revealed" looks like a
>possibility, but how reliable is it?

Get "Macintosh Revealed". It's very "reliable", probably the best place
to start to learn about mac event driven programming. Then get Knaster's
"How to write Mac Software", an incredibly lucid book of good
programming techniques. You've got Inside Mac, you won't need
anything else for at least a year. Then maybe a few tech notes or APDA
things. --Good Luck

////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////
 Internet: yahnke@vms.macc.wisc.edu
   Bitnet: yahnke@wiscmacc(.bitnet)
\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/14/89)

From article <395@rondo.randvax.UUCP>, by david@randvax.UUCP (David Shlapak):

>     My question, then, is what other tutorial/instructional resources are
> available for the Mac neophyte?

What you really need to do is get your hands on the source code from as
many existing applications as you can, and stare at it in combination
with whatever books you get.  That will give you the examples you need,
as well as working code.

...Unfortunately, everybody posts binaries on this net.  Hardly anyone
seems to know that source code exists, or else they're too stingy to
share it!

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!bin

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (01/17/89)

In article <117@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>What you really need to do is get your hands on the source code from as
>many existing applications as you can, and stare at it in combination
>with whatever books you get.  That will give you the examples you need,
>as well as working code.

Good advice.

>...Unfortunately, everybody posts binaries on this net.  Hardly anyone
>seems to know that source code exists, or else they're too stingy to
>share it!

Right on.  I have a huge collection of source code, both self-written and
downloaded.  Anything that is not a commercial product of mine has been
posted to various services -- unfortunately, the times I have tried to post
(read that mail it to the moderator) on this net, nothing seems to happen.
This was true of the Pascal and Modula-2 versions of Paul's excellent
TransSkel and Blob Manager (latter only in Pascal so far) as well as a few
utilities and games.  If someone who really knows how to get it so that the
stuff will go out will mail me a set of directions (explicit ones), I would
appreciate it and the rest of you will benefit.

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (01/17/89)

In article <8055@claris.com>, drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes...

>>...Unfortunately, everybody posts binaries on this net.  Hardly anyone
>>seems to know that source code exists, or else they're too stingy to
>>share it!
>>
>Right on.  I have a huge collection of source code, both self-written and
>downloaded.  Anything that is not a commercial product of mine has been
>posted to various services -- unfortunately, the times I have tried to post
>(read that mail it to the moderator) on this net, nothing seems to happen.

Add one more vote for more source code on the net.  I've been wondering
where it's been.  Apparently it's getting lost in the ether, or something.
If the moderators could see that it gets posted, it would be really good.

Robert
------
ra_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu
------
generic disclaimer: all my opinions are mine

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (01/18/89)

In article <8055@claris.com> drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) writes:
>In article <117@indri.primate.wisc.edu> bin@primate.wisc.edu writes:
>>...Unfortunately, everybody posts binaries on this net.  Hardly anyone
>>seems to know that source code exists, or else they're too stingy to
>>share it!
>>
>Right on.  I have a huge collection of source code, both self-written and
>downloaded.  Anything that is not a commercial product of mine has been
>posted to various services -- unfortunately, the times I have tried to post
>(read that mail it to the moderator) on this net, nothing seems to happen.

Same thing has happened to me. I wrote a desk accessory for viewing the
mandelbrot set and mailed the sources & binaries to the moderator. Nothing
happened. Is there a rule against sending binaries with sources? :-)

I haven't used other people's sources in my programs. I usually write
everything from bottom up and usually end up with binaries 1/2 the
size of comparable programs. I do look at the listings in MacTutor,
but I can't remember copying source code.

Since most people do not have the time write everything themselves,
I think we would see more new programmers, if beginners had more
source code available.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |