[comp.sys.mac.programmer] What is an SICN?

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET (01/13/89)

Hi,

I was poking about the the finder trying to find out how the finder puts
up those real small icons when you look into a window by doing a view by name,
and found that the symbols to the left of the name (showing folder/app/
document) are of resource type SICN (listed in IM 5 as Script Symbol).
Unfortunately, the only reference I could find to SICN in IM 5 was that
a resource of this type is reserved, but what it was was never explained.

Does anybody out there know what it is and how to access it?

                           Thanks,
                             Jay, etc...

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/14/89)

A SICN is a small icon.  I wrote a SICN editor once, if anybody
needs one.

Paul DuBois
dubois@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!dubois
bin@primate.wisc.edu		rhesus!bin

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/16/89)

/* Written  2:33 pm  Jan 12, 1989 by DN5@PSUVM.BITNET in uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.programmer */
/* ---------- "What is an SICN?" ---------- */
Hi,

I was poking about the the finder trying to find out how the finder puts
up those real small icons when you look into a window by doing a view by name,
and found that the symbols to the left of the name (showing folder/app/
document) are of resource type SICN (listed in IM 5 as Script Symbol).
Unfortunately, the only reference I could find to SICN in IM 5 was that
a resource of this type is reserved, but what it was was never explained.

Does anybody out there know what it is and how to access it?

                           Thanks,
                             Jay, etc...
/* End of text from uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:comp.sys.mac.programmer */

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/17/89)

DN5@PSUVM.BITNET(Jay, etc) writes in comp.sys.mac.programmer

First of all let me apologize for the previous message which went out without
the changes due to a system crash.  Anyway, here is the answer..

>I was poking about the the finder trying to find out how the finder puts
>up those real small icons when you look into a window by doing a view by name,
>and found that the symbols to the left of the name (showing folder/app/
>document) are of resource type SICN (listed in IM 5 as Script Symbol).
>Unfortunately, the only reference I could find to SICN in IM 5 was that
>a resource of this type is reserved, but what it was was never explained.
>
>Does anybody out there know what it is and how to access it?

	As Paul pints out a SICN is a Small ICoN.  It's structure is simply a
16x16 bit image.  You can access it by simply doing a GetResource on it, and
blockmoving the data into the baseAddr of a BitMap and then copybitzing it
onto the screen.

	The SICN is used in two places that I know of - 1) The Notification Manager
uses the SICN as the thing to blink over the Apple and 2) The Script Manager
puts up a SICN representing the current Script System in the upper right.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +
+                                 +                                   +

bin@primate.wisc.edu (Brain in Neutral) (01/17/89)

From article <226000050@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu>, by leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu:
> The SICN is used in two places that I know of - 1) The Notification
> Manager uses the SICN as the thing to blink over the Apple and 2) The
> Script Manager puts up a SICN representing the current Script System in
> the upper right.

3) Diskinfo DA uses them.
4) They're used in the Blob Manager Demo.  How could anyone forget that! :-)

(Their use in 4 is actually the reason I wrote SicnEdit, so I could
create them easily.  They're used within SicnEdit itself, of course.)

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (01/18/89)

In article <226000050@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>The SICN is used in two places that I know of - 1) The Notification Manager
>uses the SICN as the thing to blink over the Apple and 2) The Script Manager
>puts up a SICN representing the current Script System in the upper right.

It seems reasonable that MultiFinder might be willing to use a SICN
resource on the menu bar instead of making one up on the fly.  Also
seems that Finder might spot the same SICN resource to use for
displaying `by Small Icon'.  Anybody done any playing along these
lines?  Heard anything?  Has the Finder's bundle info had this added?

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent