[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp and the 68881

ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) (01/11/89)

Some time back I saw someone ask a question about compiling MacApp
applications so that they used the 68881 directly instead of SANE. I
too now wish to do this. I didn't see any answers to the question go
by, though, so if there is anyone out there who can explain how to do
it (maybe the original poster has figured it out now), I'd be grateful
for some help. I seem to remember that there was some snag to just
putting the compiler option in an obvious place.

Ralph
--
Dr Ralph Martin
Department of Computing Mathematics

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (01/20/89)

In article <599@cf-cm.UUCP> ralph@computing-maths.cardiff.ac.uk (Ralph Martin) writes:
>Some time back I saw someone ask a question about compiling MacApp
>applications so that they used the 68881 directly instead of SANE. I
>too now wish to do this. I didn't see any answers to the question go
>by, though, so if there is anyone out there who can explain how to do
>it (maybe the original poster has figured it out now), I'd be grateful
>for some help. I seem to remember that there was some snag to just
>putting the compiler option in an obvious place.

There are several ways of doing this:

1) go in and change your .make files to include the -mc68881 option on the
   Pascal compile line.

2) Better yet, use the alias command to include the -mc68881 option, thus:
	alias Pascal Pascal -mc68881
   That way, when the MacApp Build system executes the pascal command, the
   -mc68881 option gets included in there.

3) Get MacApp 2.0 when it comes out. The final version will have the capability
   of passing compiler options. So you could say something like:
	MABuild -pascal "-mc68881" Nothing

If you go by routes 1 or 2, don't forget to recompile all of your MacApp
sources.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
      "You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

mp@laura.UUCP (Michael Pickers) (01/21/89)

In article <24288@apple.Apple.COM> keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>>Some time back I saw someone ask a question about compiling MacApp
>>applications so that they used the 68881 directly instead of SANE. I
>>
>There are several ways of doing this:
>
>1) go in and change your .make files to include the -mc68881 option on the
>   Pascal compile line.

Nice try. However I did exacly this. Recompiled all of MacApp, after making
the neccessary changes to the Makefiles of MacApp (I even removed every
.o and .LOAD file before recompiling) and guess what happened?

This (damm) Compiler would still use the SANE calls and 10Byte Extended !!
I checked that with MacsBug !!

Btw. I'm already using MacApp 2.0, but still MPW 2.0.2 (MPW 3.0 isn't
available in W.Germany up to now).

You get the expected results (Direct MC68881 usage and 12-Bit Extended) if
you don't say 'USES {$LOAD MacIntf.LOAD}...' in a seperately compiled
Unit. However, than you'll have to use the X80toX96 and X96toX80 Functions
to convert the numbers between the two differently compiled Units.

I tried to find the reason for all this in the sources of MacApp, but
I couldn't find anything. I gave up on it since differently compiled Units
work fine for my project. But this won't make sence if I needed some
Objectclasses of MacApp, since I'm not allowed to include MacApp in that
special Unit.

I anyone has made the same experiences an has a better solution I would like
to hear about it.

          Michael Pickers
          Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
          IRB - Informatik Rechner Betriebsgruppe
          4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
          E-mail address UUCP: mp@unido.uucp (...uunet!unido!mp)
          BITNET: mp@unido.bitnet