[comp.sys.mac.programmer] UUPC on Macintosh anyone?

markn@ll1a.att.com (Mark Nettleingham) (01/18/89)

	First of all thanks to all who responded to my request for
information about the use of controls on the Mac. Several asked for
any code samples I have. Unfortunately I can't seem to get mail back
to any of them, I have tried twice without success. Thanks again!

	Now for the problem at hand, I am contemplating trying to
port UUPC to the Macintosh using MPW. If anyone out there has
already attempted this I would appreciate any help they could
give as I really don't want to spend a lot of time reinventing the
wheel. I contacted Stuart Lynne and he sent me the most current
version he has and I fully intend to make anything I come up with
available to him and anyone else interested.

	Since my failure in getting mail to the people who helped me
with my last request I am not confident in my ability to respond. So
please accept my thanks for any information in advance.

	Mark Nettleingham
	312 983-4475
	...!att!ll1a!markn

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (01/20/89)

I believe that UUPC has already been ported to Aztec C on the Mac,
at least in a beta test version. I don't know if anyone has worked
with it in MPW or Lightspeed C.

  Ken Mitchum
  DSL
  University of Pittsburgh

jas@ernie.Berkeley.EDU (Jim Shankland) (01/21/89)

In article <6342@hoptoad.uucp> tim@hoptoad.UUCP (Tim Maroney) writes:
>That's UUCP, guys, which stands for "Unix to UNIX Copy".  ("cp" is the
>copy command on UNIX.)  A few points on the porting idea.

I've been assuming that UUPC is a non-ATT implementation of UUCP for
PC's -- not a typo.  Am I right?

>One, a port as such is probably illegal without the express permission
>of AT&T, unless there's a public domain version I don't know about ....

See above comment.

>Second, UUCP is very ugly....  The protocol
>is undocumented outside the source code; the protocol itself is awful
>even once you figure it out ....

I have (somewhere ...) a document written by Greg Chesson (I think),
describing the protocol.  It was posted to the net, with a preface
stating that the document could be freely distributed.

>Third, a lot of UUCP applications assume that you have a UNIX command
>interpreter running on your computer.

It shouldn't be that hard, once the protocols are done, to throw something
together that will at least allow sending and receiving of mail and
news, without actually implementing a UNIX shell.  Personally, I
don't see a need for uuxqt in its full, general ... uh ... glory.

>Finally, I recommend you look into the idea of using a better quality
>protocol like Kermit to accomplish whatever it is you're hoping to do.

A fine solution for some problems.  But -- like Mt. Everest -- uucp
is there.  It would be useful to be able to get a mail and/or news
feed from an arbitrary UNIX machine without having to make changes
on the feeding machine.  For similar reasons, some people end up
running uucp on top of TCP/IP, which in one way is an extremely stupid
thing to do, but in another way makes all the sense in the world.

Jim Shankland
jas@ernie.berkeley.edu

"I've been walking in a river all my life, and now my feet are wet"