[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Text Drawing at speeds in excess of

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/18/89)

grg@berlin.acss.umn.edu(* *) writes in comp.sys.mac.programmer

>Here's how to speed up your serial I/O to screen.  I wish Red Ryder and
>Microphone were listening.
>
>(1)  Don't use drawchar.  There's too much overhead in drawing 1 char at a time.Try gathering 5-20 chars at a time and then drawing them all at once with
>DrawText or DrawString.  This should help a lot.  You'll need to special
>case the processing of control characters and escape sequences though.  You'll
>also need a timeout to flush the last 5-20 characters.  A bit messy but this
>is the only way you can go above 1200 baud on a plain Mac.
>
>(2) You then may find the bottleneck is in scrolling the screen.  You can
>speed this up by scrolling up several lines at a time.  This is somewhat ugly
>but at 9600 baud the eye can barely tell if you're scrolling 1 line or 3 lines
>at a time.

   Well as one of the authors of MicroPhone II, I can say that not only have
we been listening but if you look closely you will see that the current
shipping version of MicroPhone II does both of the above.

+                                 +  Any thing I say may be taken as  +
+   Leonard Rosenthol             +  fact, then again you might decide+
+   President, LazerWare, inc.    +  that it really isn't, so you     +
+                                 +  never know, do you??             +
+   leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu     +                                   +
+   GEnie:  MACgician             +  MacNET: MACgician                +
+   Delphi: MACgician             +  AppleLink: D0025                 +
+                                 +                                   +

jmunkki@kampi.hut.fi (Juri Munkki) (01/20/89)

In article <226000053@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>grg@berlin.acss.umn.edu(* *) writes in comp.sys.mac.programmer
>>(1)  Don't use drawchar.  There's too much overhead in drawing 1 char at a tim
>>(2) You then may find the bottleneck is in scrolling the screen.  You can

>   Well as one of the authors of MicroPhone II, I can say that not only have
>we been listening but if you look closely you will see that the current
>shipping version of MicroPhone II does both of the above.

What is the current shipping version? We got version 2.0 from Computerware
just two or three months ago. It doesn't seem to be all that fast.

|     Juri Munkki jmunkki@hut.fi  jmunkki@fingate.bitnet        I Want   Ne   |
|     Helsinki University of Technology Computing Centre        My Own   XT   |
~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~^~

leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu (01/24/89)

jmunkki@hut.fi(Juri Munkki) writes in comp.sys.mac.programmer

>In article <226000053@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu> leonardr@uxe.cso.uiuc.edu writes:
>>grg@berlin.acss.umn.edu(* *) writes in comp.sys.mac.programmer
>>>(1)  Don't use drawchar.  There's too much overhead in drawing 1 char
>>>(2) You then may find the bottleneck is in scrolling the screen.  You can
>
>>   Well as one of the authors of MicroPhone II, I can say that not only have
>>we been listening but if you look closely you will see that the current
>>shipping version of MicroPhone II does both of the above.
>
>What is the current shipping version? We got version 2.0 from Computerware
>just two or three months ago. It doesn't seem to be all that fast.

	V2.0 is the current shipping version, and I never claimed it was fast - I
simply said that we are already doing what was recommended.  We have gone
beyond this, as well as fixed some overhead, in version 3.0 which is due
to ship in April.