[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How do you get a "Unique" Mac ID...

soe@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Brad Soe) (01/24/89)

I want to find a way to get a Unique Macintosh ID (like the
Mac's serial number) under software. Is there some unique ID
number stored away in a System Resource or something? It doesn't
have to be backwards compatible (with Mac+ or Mac 512),
but just some unique number that can be accessed in this way.
I just need some number that is unique for each Macintosh.

Thanks

Brad Soe
soe@ames.arc.nasa.gov

falken@caen.engin.umich.edu (David R Falkenburg) (01/24/89)

In article <20963@ames.arc.nasa.gov>, soe@ames.arc.nasa.gov (Brad Soe) writes:

> I want to find a way to get a Unique Macintosh ID (like the
> Mac's serial number) under software. Is there some unique ID
> number stored away in a System Resource or something? It doesn't
> have to be backwards compatible (with Mac+ or Mac 512),
> but just some unique number that can be accessed in this way.
> I just need some number that is unique for each Macintosh.
>
> Thanks
>
> Brad Soe
> soe@ames.arc.nasa.gov

Why on earth do you need such a thing?  Are you using it for something useful
(like network node id assignement) or just to "node-lock" a software package.

There should be no reason you need such a unique number-- not only is it
almost certainly uneccessary, but such "measures" make things a pain in
the *&^( to administer.  Remember keeping your Lisa Office System Originals?

Rumor has it that NeXT might be using node-locking as a strategy for sw
distribution-- BIG MISTAKE.

-dave

--
Dave Falkenburg @ University of Michigan Computer Aided Engineering Network
ARPA: falken@caen.engin.umich.edu    UUCP: umix!caen.engin.umich.edu!falken

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (01/25/89)

It depends on what you need it for.  If you want an immutable, unspoofable
number for copy protection, I don't know of anything that will do it for
you. If you need it to be unique on a network, appletalk's distributed
name server will give you a unique socket numbe for each mac on the net.
Lastly, the Map CDEV stores the latitude and longitude of the mac in the
parameter ram is a 32-bit fraction of a great circle, which gives a
positioning on the Earth of a few feet. This lets you asign permanent
unique ids to any set of macintoshes under your control, but the user
can changes these numbers, if only by removing the battery that backs up
the parameter RAM. Ithink Mac 512KEs don't have enough parameter RAM to store
these values.