[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Found problem with allocating large handles.

janin@tybalt.caltech.edu (Adam L. Janin) (01/24/89)

Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for suggestions about why
I was unable to allocate large handles!

The problem turned out to be that I had insufficient room under multifinder
with LSC, the debugger, ResEdit, and my application.  This, of course, caused
the request to NewHandle to fail.  Later, after rebooting, there appeared to
be plenty of room, since ResEdit and other applications were not running.

I just switched to using MultiFinder, so I expect I'll continue to be
somewhat confused  :->

	Adam Janin.
	janin@tybalt.caltech.edu

mbkennel@phoenix.Princeton.EDU (Matthew B. Kennel) (01/25/89)

In article <9236@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> janin@tybalt.caltech.edu (Adam L. Janin) writes:
>Thanks to everyone who responded to my request for suggestions about why
>I was unable to allocate large handles!
>
>The problem turned out to be that I had insufficient room under multifinder
>with LSC, the debugger, ResEdit, and my application.  This, of course, caused
>the request to NewHandle to fail.  Later, after rebooting, there appeared to
>be plenty of room, since ResEdit and other applications were not running.
>
>I just switched to using MultiFinder, so I expect I'll continue to be
>somewhat confused  :->
>
>	Adam Janin.
>	janin@tybalt.caltech.edu

Unbelievable!  NewHandle returned 0 because it was .... out of memory!!!
  :)

I'm not at all trying to impugn your programming ability, just making
a joke over the fact that we've all come to expect all sorts of
excruciatingly complicated interactions between hack A and kludge B and
system C and patch D when programming on the Macintosh that we tend to
overlook the obvious.

Matt Ke(*&9aSD97!dd^s
Connection closed.