[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LS PAscal gripe

billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) (01/25/89)

Has anybody else noticed that Lightspeed Pascal (2.0) does not support negative
field widths in write/writeln statements to left justify numerical output?

Everybody else DOES!  Rich, could you see to it that this goes into version
2.1?  I don't see how it could be that big a trouble to add.

A question for everyone (even Rich).  Is this yet another indication that
THINK is out to just produce a program that 'meets the specs' Pascal-wise?
I would think that they would strive to have the best compiler on the market
in every way possible.

+----------------------+----------------------------------------------------+
| Steve Bollinger      | Internet: billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu            |
| 4297 Sulgrave Dr.    +------+---------------------------------------------+
| Swartz Creek, Mi. 48473     | "My employer doesn't take my opinion any    |
+-----------------------------+  more seriously than you do."               |
| "You remember the IIe, it   +---------------------------------------------+
| was the machine Apple made before they decided people didn't need         |
| machines with big screens, color, or slots."                              |
|                                 - Harry Anderson (from NBC's Night Court) |

ags@s.cc.purdue.edu (Dave Seaman) (01/28/89)

In article <410fcecb.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:
>Has anybody else noticed that Lightspeed Pascal (2.0) does not support negative
>field widths in write/writeln statements to left justify numerical output?

What's wrong with using a field width of 1?  This also left-justifies
numerical output, and it has the additional advantage of being correct
Pascal.

--
Dave Seaman
ags@j.cc.purdue.edu

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (01/28/89)

In article <410fcecb.a590@mag.engin.umich.edu> billkatt@sol.engin.umich.edu (Steve Bollinger) writes:
>Everybody else DOES!  Rich, could you see to it that this goes into version
>2.1?  I don't see how it could be that big a trouble to add.

	I'm not all-powerful, and I can't "see to it" that ANYTHING gets
done. The best I can do is to make a recommendation. If it's approved,
I'll probably write it.

	[If it were my option, yes, I'd put it in.]

>A question for everyone (even Rich).  Is this yet another indication that
>THINK is out to just produce a program that 'meets the specs' Pascal-wise?
>I would think that they would strive to have the best compiler on the market
>in every way possible.

	We try for strict ANSI compliance in Lightspeed Pascal, since some
of our large-volume customers insist on an ANSI-compliant Pascal for the
Macintosh.

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

Any opinions stated in this article do not necessarily reflect the views
or policies of Symantec Corporation or its employees.