[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Drawing PICT resources

drew@cat19.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) (01/27/89)

This may sound like a pretty stupid question, but how can I take a PICT
resource from a file and then draw it to the screen?  Alternatively, is
there any other form of resource that is better for this?  I am trying
to implement something similar to Apple's Map cdev.  I need to place a
xored bitmap onto the screen over an existing PICT that I have in a dialog
box.  Apple's Map cdev uses SICN resources for its bitmaps, but I can't find
any info on using SICN resources.

Thanks in advance.

****** The opinions expressed in this article are my own ******
**********    Who else would want to claim them?    ***********
   drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu (Nick Jackiw) (01/30/89)

In article <2187@puff.cs.wisc.edu> drew@cat19.CS.WISC.EDU (Shawn Drew) writes:
> This may sound like a pretty stupid question, but how can I take a PICT
> resource from a file and then draw it to the screen?
> [Deletions]
> I can't find any info on using SICN resources.
>
>    drew@cat18.cs.wisc.edu      shawn@h8001.cae.wisc.edu

PICT's are resources containing normal Quickdraw Pictures.  If your resource
ID is #129,  and myRect contains the rectangle in which you wish to draw it,
(local coordinates of current grafport), then

  var myPic:PicHandle;
  begin
   myPic:=GetPicture(129);
   DrawPicture(myPic, myRect)
  end;

will draw it. SICNs are 'small icons.' Their format is a 16x16 bit array,
you have to provide the BitMap structure to plot it with CopyBits.

-Nick.

--
+-------------------+-jackiw@cs.swarthmore.edu / !rutgers!bpa!swatsun!jackiw-+
|  nicholas jackiw  | jackiw%campus.swarthmore.edu@swarthmr.bitnet           |