[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Remapping the keyboard -- ?Script Interface Systems?

jeremy@cs.swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Brest) (01/30/89)

After designing a font for Hungarian text, I'm trying to come up with
a sensible keyboard mapping for the special characters.  However, the
standard mapping for Roman text has no key sequences for putting enough
diacritical marks over enough vowels.  I would like to map new key
sequences to single characters, i.e., option-o o, option-o u, option-o
O, and option-o U to o, u, O, and U with Hungarian long umlauts.  I
believe that the answer lies in Script Interface Systems, but these
are undocumented in IM, vol V.  If anyone knows how to do this, or
where to look, please let me know.

Jeremy Brest
Swarthmore College

Internet: jeremy@cs.swarthmore.edu

kent@lloyd.camex.uucp (Kent Borg) (02/02/89)

In article <2373@carthage.cs.swarthmore.edu> jeremy@cs.Swarthmore.edu (Jeremy Brest) writes:
>After designing a font for Hungarian text, ...
>                                        I would like to map new key
>sequences to single characters, i.e., option-o o, option-o u, option-o
>O, and option-o U to o, u, O, and U with Hungarian long umlauts.  I ...

If you have a copy of ResEdit 1.2b3 and an ADB (post-Plus) machine,
you can edit the KCHR (I think I have that right) resource.  You will
have to futz around to figure out how the KCHR editor works, but you
can use it to change things (even the "dead keys") to do what you
want.

Slight problem: The KCHR editor refuses to run on a Plus. What's more,
the ungrowable-KCHR editor window does not all fit on an SE sized
screen, soooo you will have to get access to a bigger screened Mac.
(Maybe the Big Screen INIT will work?)

(Everyone at Apple has Mac II's, they forget that a lot of the rest of
the world doesn't.)

Second Problem: Do Plus's use the KCHR resource?  Will this solution
only work on ADB Macintoshes?

Kent Borg
kent@lloyd.uucp
or
hscfvax!lloyd!kent

wdh@well.UUCP (Bill Hofmann) (02/03/89)

<< A question about supporting Hungarian

The Script Manager is designed to support different scripts, as in,
Roman, Arabic, Kanji, etc, not language variants within the script
(like Czech or Hungarian).  What you want to play with is the 'KCHR'
resource, which supports remapping of the physical keyboard.  There's
a real lack of documentation about these resources, but try IMV-190,
and esp. Tech Note 160.  Also, check the MPW Rez interfaces.  You may
also need to design a font. Good luck. If you're smart, you'll stay
away from the Script Manager.  While it means well, there is a real
lack of adequate documentation and examples.
-Bill