[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SADE pronunciation

lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) (01/30/89)

	Is SADE pronounced S-AY-D ( sounds like paid ) or SHAR-DAY ( like SADE
the singer)?  If it is the latter than perhaps Apple and CBS Records
( or whoever owns the rights to her music) could work out a deal for an
interesting about box with sound.  :-)

	Of course low level debugging could be named the "Nothing could come
between us" mode.  :-)

	A humorous observation from

Lyman S. Taylor					lyman@eos.arc.nasa.gov
NASA Ames Research Center		                or
						    more verbose
				...{uunet,hplabs,decwrl}!ames!eos!lyman

beard@ux1.lbl.gov (Patrick C Beard) (01/30/89)

In article <2468@eos.UUCP> lyman@eos.UUCP (Lyman Taylor) writes:

>	Is SADE pronounced S-AY-D ( sounds like paid ) or SHAR-DAY ( like SADE
>the singer)?  If it is the latter than perhaps Apple and CBS Records
>( or whoever owns the rights to her music) could work out a deal for an
>interesting about box with sound.  :-)

Or is it SADE (SOD), as in the Marquis De?  The docs mentions something
about discipline and bondage for programs...

Patrick Beard

rhsu@topaz.rutgers.edu (Robert Hsu) (01/31/89)

> Or is it SADE (SOD), as in the Marquis De?  The docs mentions something
> about discipline and bondage for programs...
>
> Patrick Beard

	Is there any mention of chains and whips in the documentation?
Discipline and bondage, I'm afraid, cannot qualify as sadism.  I
wonder if the name is mere coincidence or an indication of some
psychological disturbance afflicting the people behind it.

	If you think this has nothing to do with programming the Mac,
you're right.

-----
Rob
rhsu@topaz.rutgers.edu		...!rutgers!topaz.rutgers.edu!rhsu

wrs@Apple.COM (Walter Smith) (01/31/89)

Those In The Know pronounce SADE "sayd", despite the clear origins of the
name, which would imply the pronounciation "sod".  I always pronounce
it "shar-day" just to irritate Those In The Know.

- Walt
--
Walter Smith				wrs@apple.com, apple!wrs
Apple Computer, Inc.			(408) 974-5892

rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (02/03/89)

rhsu@topaz.rutgers.edu (Robert Hsu) quotes Patrick Beard as saying:
|> Or is it SADE (SOD), as in the Marquis De?  The docs mentions something
|> about discipline and bondage for programs...

Actually, all I've heard is "SAY-dee" with emphasis on the first syllable.

Reid