[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Virtual and Mathematica question

janin@tybalt.caltech.edu (Adam L. Janin) (02/03/89)

Has anyone out there used Virtual with Mathematica?  I am interested in
using Mathematica, but I have insufficient memory to use it effeciently.
I was wondering what kind of performance degradation there was using
Virtual with Mathematica.

Also, how much memory can Virtual provide?  How does it reserve disk
space?  How difficult is it to install a PMMU?

	Thanks,

			Adam Janin
			janin@tybalt.caltech.edu

ephraim@think.COM (Ephraim Vishniac) (02/04/89)

In article <9373@cit-vax.Caltech.Edu> janin@tybalt.caltech.edu (Adam L. Janin) writes:

>Has anyone out there used Virtual with Mathematica?  I am interested in
>using Mathematica, but I have insufficient memory to use it effeciently.
>I was wondering what kind of performance degradation there was using
>Virtual with Mathematica.

I just tried it.  The Mac had 5M of physical memory.  Mathematica was
a late beta, not the genuine article.  It worked beautifully, and had
a very low paging rate.  As soon as I can, I'll try this on my machine
at home, which has only 2M of physical memory.

>Also, how much memory can Virtual provide?  How does it reserve disk
>space?  How difficult is it to install a PMMU?

Virtual provides exactly 8M of virtual memory.  The first time you run
it, it silently snarfs an 8M contiguous block of your disk space.
Installing the PMMU was fairly easy, but the manual is correct when it
warns that installing a 132-pin chip takes plenty of pressure!

Ephraim Vishniac					  ephraim@think.com
Thinking Machines Corporation / 245 First Street / Cambridge, MA 02142-1214

	"Arlo Guthrie, it seems, has found what he was looking for:
		God, and the Macintosh." (Boston Globe)