[comp.sys.mac.programmer] TML Pascal II v3.0

oei@pluto.PRC.Unisys.COM (Charles L Oei) (01/31/89)

[I apologize if this has been covered recently here.]

Does anyone have any experiences w/ TML Pascal II v3.0 that was advertised
in the first MacTech?  I'd like to get the full MPW system (shell, C, Object
Pascal, MACAPP) and thought that getting the TML system might be
a way to ease into it.

Is the MPW 3.0 shell that comes w/ the TML system crippled in any way?
(Can I just purchase MPW C, MACAPP, etc. from ADPA/TechAlliance?)

Is MPW v3.0 really out? (The last APDA log said it was only Beta;
and I read somewhere that it would be cheaper when it was released
as a "real product".)

Thanks.

Charles Oei
--
ARPA:	oei@prc.unisys.com
UUCP:	{sdcrdcf,psuvax1,cbmvax,sun!liberty}!burdvax!oei

levin@bbn.com (Joel B Levin) (01/31/89)

In article <9111@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> oei@pluto.PRC.Unisys.COM (Charles L Oei) writes:
|Does anyone have any experiences w/ TML Pascal II v3.0 that was advertised
|in the first MacTech?  I'd like to get the full MPW system (shell, C, Object
|Pascal, MACAPP) and thought that getting the TML system might be
|a way to ease into it.

When the final price list comes out (it may be in the latest APDAlog,
but I only just got it) check the price of the bundles vs. getting TML
Pascal 3.0 and MPW C (and assembler).

|Is the MPW 3.0 shell that comes w/ the TML system crippled in any way?
|(Can I just purchase MPW C, MACAPP, etc. from ADPA/TechAlliance?)

I can only answer for MPW 2.0.2 and the previous version of TML P II
(so far);  no, the version of MPW 2.0.2 sent with the TML product was
not crippled in any way.  All tools and the large manual with all the
Shell, ResEdit, Rez, Make, MacsBug, etc. documentation were included
-- with one major exception; MPW 2.0.2 included the assembler.  The
version shipped with TML P II excluded the assembler, the assembly
sample programs, and the assembly interface files.  MPW 3 has
unbundled the assembler, so my expectation is that the version you get
from TML will match disk for disk the product shipped by APDA.

I just got the upgrade notice for TML P II v3.0; the upgrade is only
$20 cheaper if I opt not to get MPW 3.0 with it.  The upgrade price is
(as I recall) very close to what I paid MacConnection for the earlier
version, though of course the v3.0 price at MacConnection may well be higher.

Hope this helped.

	/JBL
_
UUCP:     {backbone}!bbn!levin		POTS: (617) 873-3463
INTERNET: levin@bbn.com

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/01/89)

In article <9111@burdvax.PRC.Unisys.COM> oei@pluto.PRC.Unisys.COM (Charles L Oei) writes:

>Does anyone have any experiences w/ TML Pascal II v3.0 that was advertised
>in the first MacTech?  I'd like to get the full MPW system (shell, C, Object
>Pascal, MACAPP) and thought that getting the TML system might be
>a way to ease into it.
>
>Is the MPW 3.0 shell that comes w/ the TML system crippled in any way?
>(Can I just purchase MPW C, MACAPP, etc. from ADPA/TechAlliance?)
>
>Is MPW v3.0 really out? (The last APDA log said it was only Beta;
>and I read somewhere that it would be cheaper when it was released
>as a "real product".)

I played around with it recently. It seems pretty nice. I tried compiling an
Object Pascal program I'd written for MPW Pascal, and noticed 6 "differences"
right away:

- TML Pascal is smaller. MPW Pascal is about 300K, TML about 140K

- TML Pascal is faster. I don't have specific compile times, but the time
savings is significant. Roughly, I'd say TML is 1.5 to 2 times faster.

- TML Pascal MUST have compiled Units in the USES statement. For this reason,
you can't have circular USES between multiple units. In my case, I had to
reorganize my program significantly.

- The interface files that come with TML don't have the nice conditional
compiler statements that MPW 3.0 Pascal's do. In MPW, you can specify your
interface files in any way that you want. If file is USED before a dependant
file is USED, then it calls it in automatically. This way, you can specify only
the files you need and in any order you need. TML's is not like this. You have
to specify all the interface files ever used, and in a specific order.

- TML Pascal doesn't link with MPW 3.0 linker with object optimization turned
on. In my sample, the resulting code started jumping to the method tables!

- Short circuit boolean operators don't seem to work.

TML Pascal comes with the full MPW 3.0 System. It doesn't come with MPW Pascal
C, Assembler, or SADE. It does come with the Shell manual, but not for ResEdit
or MacsBug. Finally, it doesn't come with the groovy binders and tabs that
MPW does.

MPW 3.0 final has been available since MacWorld. Call APDA at 800-282-APDA.

or C
INTERNET: keith@apple.com
      "You can do what you want to me, but leave my computer alone!"

skl@koko.UUCP (Scott Luther) (02/08/89)

Tml Pascal is a pretty good deal as far as getting into MPW 3.0.  All the tools
are compatable for the most part.  You will be able to buy MPW C 3.0 from
anyone and it will work just fine.  It's a nice setup.  If you want to
use MacApp with TML you must get there compatability disk though.

	Scott