[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Prototyper opinions?

dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) (02/01/89)

I am thinking about purchasing Prototyper, by SmetherBarnes.  Is this
any good?  Is there something better?

I use Lightspeed Pascal (the version just before the current expensive
upgrade--I forget the number).  I have read the Chernikoff books and
understood them well enough to get a simple interface largely written,
but I don't have Inside Mac and, more importantly, I don't have a lot
of time to spend with my Mac.

Prototyper promises to let me build my interface in a Mac-like manner,
then produce Pascal code I can use in my program.  Does it deliver?
I found TransSkel to be less useful than Chernikoff's well-documented
code--is Prototyper just another TransSkel?

A recent ad says "After starting Prototyper last night at 11pm, by 2am
this morning I had generated 3/4 of a megabyte of user interface source
code."  I personally don't *want* 3/4 meg of source code--does anyone
know if this is reasonably compact code, or does Prototyper just spew
out lots of redundant code?

All opinions are welcome.  Only YOU can prevent bad purchases!  Please
reply directly to me; I will summarize to the net if I accumulate
enough information.

aTdHvAaNnKcSe
-- Dave Matuszek (dave@prc.unisys.com)
-- Unisys Corp. / Paoli Research Center / PO Box 517 / Paoli PA  19301
-- Standard disclaimer:  Any resemblance between my opinions and those of my
   employer is strictly coincidental.

jwhitnell@cup.portal.com (Jerry D Whitnell) (02/03/89)

dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes...
|I am thinking about purchasing Prototyper, by SmetherBarnes.  Is this
|any good?  Is there something better?

I have Prototyper 1.0 and am a beta site for 2.0.  In general, it delivers
what it promises and is relativly bug free (at least the 1.0 is, I can't comment
on the quality of the beta 2.0).  There was a similar product annoucned at
MacWorld (at least I picked up a brochure for it), but I have not seen
the product itself.  I'd recommend to all beginning Mac programmers and any
non-beginners who either need to put together quick-and-dirty-but-Mac-pretty
applications or who like to play with the user interfaces of their programs
before casting them in concrete code.  As an example, I used it on a recent
contract that needed to be done quickly.  The buyers were even willing to
have a stdio interface if it would take less time, but with Prototyper I
was able to throw together a real Mac interface and generate code in 4 hours.

|Prototyper promises to let me build my interface in a Mac-like manner,
|then produce Pascal code I can use in my program.  Does it deliver?

In Prototyper, you basically draw your interface.  You have one window that
you specify your menus in (in 2.0 they can be heirarchical) by typing in
the titles of each menu and the items in the menu.  They give you default
Apple, File and Edit menus to start with, which you can edit.  You can also
have create any number of windows, which you can specify as normal windows,
dialogs or alerts.  You can then add to these windows, using a MacDraw-style
palette interface, buttons, check boxs, radio buttons, lists, lines, pictures,
static text and editable text.  You can link the buttons to open other windows
or dialogs and also link menu items to open and close windows.  Version
2.0 will also support pop-up menus and provides a more complete set of
commands for the links.

You can then "run" your interface to see what it looks like.  This is basically
a simple interpretor built into Prototyper that interprets your prototype.
The links tell the interpretor what to do when you select a menu item or click
on a button.

Once you are satisfied with your interface, you can then generate the Pascal
code.  The source code includes the main loop, control routines for the dialog
boxes and alert boxs and code to handle the menus.  It also generates resources
in both RMaker and binary form.  The code generated is reasonably good and
requires little modification.  There are place-holders where you'll need to
add the code that does the real work, but these are commented so you can
find them.  The code is specific to your application so there is little
redundent code.  Version 2.0 will include C code generators as well as Pascal.

Version 2.0 is due out RSN.  I recommend, however, you buy 1.0 and upgrade
to 2.0 as 2.0 will have a major price increase attached to it.

--
Jerry Whitnell                    Several Species of Small Furry
jwhitnell@cup.portal.com          Animals Gathered Together in a

rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) (02/03/89)

dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
|I am thinking about purchasing Prototyper, by SmetherBarnes.  Is this
|any good?  Is there something better?

Warning: as of the last time I looked, Prototyper did not handle the
"newer" bits of the Macintosh user interface like popup menus, hier-
archical menus, and tear-off menus.  Also, it only created Pascal code.
Now you are using Pascal, so that's ok.

I played with it a bit in June of last year and it seemed primitive, sort of
archaic in what it would and would not handle.  Of course, if your needs
are simple, this may be the program for you.  Personally, I was very
disappointed with the product.  But then again, I know of no better
alternate for you to try..

Reid

viking@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu (02/04/89)

>dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:>
>|I am thinking about purchasing Prototyper, by SmetherBarnes.  Is this
>|any good?  Is there something better?
>
>Warning: as of the last time I looked, Prototyper did not handle the
>"newer" bits of the Macintosh user interface like popup menus, hier-
>archical menus, and tear-off menus.  Also, it only created Pascal code.
>Now you are using Pascal, so that's ok.

The new version 2.0 handles these constructs and will produce code for
both Pascal *and* C (LightSpeed and MPW).  I have heard nothing but
good reports from my developer friends, but I have no personal experience
with the product yet.  (I've just ordered a copy myself.)

Jon Backstrom
Computer Science Department
Indiana University

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/04/89)

In article <3635@geaclib.UUCP> rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
>dave@emerald.PRC.Unisys.COM (David Lee Matuszek) writes:
>|I am thinking about purchasing Prototyper, by SmetherBarnes.  Is this
>|any good?  Is there something better?
>
>Warning: as of the last time I looked, Prototyper did not handle the
>"newer" bits of the Macintosh user interface like popup menus, hier-
>archical menus, and tear-off menus.  Also, it only created Pascal code
>Now you are using Pascal, so that's ok.

Prototyper 2 is supposedly shipping *now*.  It handles popup and hierarchical
menus - I didn't think tear-off menus were part of the Mac interface.  They've
also cleaned up their interface - the dialog designer for example.  And it
generates "C" code including LSC and MPW.

>I played with it a bit in June of last year and it seemed primitive, sort of
>archaic in what it would and would not handle.  Of course, if your needs
>are simple, this may be the program for you.  Personally, I was very
>disappointed with the product.  But then again, I know of no better
>alternate for you to try..
>
>Reid

I've never used the code it generated as I don't program in Pascal.  But, it
sure is a time-saver for prototyping.  I generated an interface and showed it
to a number of people for comments before I started coding.  They simulate
the interface you generated as if it was a running application.  And the
resource file was easier to generate than using ResEdit.  I hope to use the
code with the new version but, I can't comment yet...

Waiting for my upgrade,

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

skl@koko.UUCP (Scott Luther) (02/08/89)

You should look into MacApp if you don't have a lot of time for development
it's a pretty good deal.  You must know a bit about Object Oriented
programming but once you've looked at a few examples it shouldn't be toooo
much of a problem.  Prototyper seems o.k.  I have used it a little bit
to prepare demos of what a future product was going to look like.  We
didn't reuse any of the code though.  I will say that the souce seems
weel documentd and generally pretty good (in a generic kind of way).  I
did have problems converting some of the source to MPW with units that
had numbers in the Uses statments.  Theres a good book by Kurt Schumucker
about MacApp entitled "object oriented programming" you should check it
out.  Hope this helps...
	+Scott+

danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) (02/11/89)

In article <3635@geaclib.UUCP>, rae@geaclib.UUCP (Reid Ellis) writes:
> Warning: as of the last time I looked, Prototyper did not handle the
> "newer" bits of the Macintosh user interface like popup menus, hier-
> archical menus, and tear-off menus.  Also, it only created Pascal code.
> Now you are using Pascal, so that's ok.
>
> I played with it a bit in June of last year and it seemed primitive, sort of
> archaic in what it would and would not handle.  Of course, if your needs
> are simple, this may be the program for you.  Personally, I was very
> disappointed with the product.  But then again, I know of no better
> alternate for you to try..
>
> Reid

I bought the original version and have ordered the upgrade to version 2.0,
which handles popup menus, hierarchal menus, the C language, and has a cleaner
user interface.  I program in C, but bought the Pascal-only version anyway.
I wrote one fairly large application with Prototyper, and ended up translating
from Pascal to C.  I had never written a Mac application.  My verdict: Proto-
typer saved me weeks of trouble.  I *highly* recommend the program.

Since it is fairly inexpensive (new version lists at $295 = 6 hours of
programming time @ $50/hr.), and since it does not inhibit a programmer by
constraining him to any software architecture, the only reason I can see
for not using Prototyper is if a person either is capable of generating
equivalent code in similar time or enjoys creating the low-level program code
of a user interface.  An analogous issue is the high-level vs. assembly
language programming debate, although in the case of interface builders,
the speed of execution penalty is negligable.

But wait, there's an added bonus.  With Prototyper, you get to experiment with
user interface options at a speed that is at least an order of magnitude
greater than if you were hand-coding and using some other resource editor.

Dan Milliron

Disclaimer: I have no relationship with Smethers Barnes besides being a
	    customer.

tmyers@orion.cf.uci.edu (Tracy Myers) (02/12/89)

In article <3768@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM> danm@tekig5.PEN.TEK.COM (Daniel Milliron) writes:

>But wait, there's an added bonus.  With Prototyper, you get to experiment with
>user interface options at a speed that is at least an order of magnitude
>greater than if you were hand-coding and using some other resource editor.
>
>Dan Milliron

I have just received my prototyper upgrade, and have not had enough time
with it to form an informed opinion of v2.0.  But, so far so good.  I have
found Prototyper to be a very effective tool in learning how to handle the user
interface stuff.  Instead of getting one of the canned examples that come
with every development system, you can make your own.  Want to find out
how to do radio buttons? Just do a prototype and generate the code. You can
have exactly what you want in the program (within the limits of
Prototyper).  You don't have to wade through a large example to find the code
you are interested in.  The code is pretty thuroughly commented and easy
to follow.  It has been very helpful in my effort to learn the interface.