[comp.sys.mac.programmer] What do you call a set of radio buttons

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) (02/11/89)

I'm writing a spec for a project which includes the concept of radio
buttons, and  I'd like to use Mac terminology wherever possible.

In referring to a set of related radio buttons, is it proper
terminology to call this a "radio"?

--
David Elliott		...!pyramid!boulder!stan!dce

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (02/12/89)

In article <443@salgado.stan.UUCP> dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) writes:

>I'm writing a spec for a project which includes the concept of radio
>buttons, and  I'd like to use Mac terminology wherever possible.
>
>In referring to a set of related radio buttons, is it proper
>terminology to call this a "radio"?

The term I usually employ is "cluster."

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

zebolskyd@byuvax.bitnet (02/12/89)

dce@stan.UUCP (David Elliott) asks:

>I'm writing a spec for a project which includes the concept of radio
>buttons, and  I'd like to use Mac terminology wherever possible.
>
>In referring to a set of related radio buttons, is it proper
>terminology to call this a "radio"?

Apple calls a set of related radio buttons a "group." Startlingly original,
no?

Lyle D. Gunderson
zebolskyd@byuvax.bitnet

dwt@well.UUCP (dwt) (02/14/89)

> In referring to a set of related radio buttons, is it proper
> terminology to call this a "radio"?

MacApp 2.0 introduces the term "Cluster" to refer to a set of
related Controls such as Check Boxes and Radio Buttons etc.

So, I would suggest that a set of related radio buttons would
be best referred to as the XYZ Radio Cluster.

Hope this helps!
--
David W. Taylor, Detail Software, San Anselmo, CA 94960 (415) 453-0712
                    {pacbell,lll-winken,hoptoad,hplabs,apple}!well!dwt

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (02/15/89)

In article <10705@well.UUCP> dwt@well.UUCP (dwt) writes:
>MacApp 2.0 introduces the term "Cluster" to refer to a set of
>related Controls such as Check Boxes and Radio Buttons etc.

An interesting interpretation of the Macintosh User Interface, specifically
with respect to radio button clusters is...

 ...Cluster Title..............
:                             :
:   o Item 1                  :
:   o Item 2                  :
:   * Item 3                  :
:                             :

Where the cluster of radio buttons is surrounded by a dotted box with the
title of the radio cluster at the top.  This can easily be achieved in a
user item for a dialog item.  Be sure that the code to draw the title of
the radio cluster box is drawn using the system justification values (and
appropriate placement of course) for full compatibility with other script
systems.

Just a random thought that crossed my mind...

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect      Cereal, anyone?  :-)
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
ATTnet: 408-974-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664