[comp.sys.mac.programmer] GNU EMACS

pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) (02/17/89)

[]
	Speaking of GNU Emacs, has anybody ever looked at the
feasibility of GNU Emacs for the Mac?  (NOT microemacs or micrognu,
but the real thing with only the impossible stuff (subprocesses, shell
commands, etc.) taken out but Lisp most definitely left in)

	Obviously the whole thing could run under A/UX, but what about
from the finder?  Would the thing be a total dog running in only 1 Mb?

	Inquiring (and power-greedy) minds want to know...
Paul Meyer                      pem@cadnetix.COM
Cadnetix Corp.
5775 Flatirons Pkwy.            {uunet,boulder}!cadnetix!pem
Boulder, CO 80301               (303)444-8075x244

km@cadre.dsl.PITTSBURGH.EDU (Ken Mitchum) (02/22/89)

In article <6674@cadnetix.COM> pem@cadnetix.COM (Paul Meyer) writes:
>[]
>	Speaking of GNU Emacs, has anybody ever looked at the
>feasibility of GNU Emacs for the Mac?  (NOT microemacs or micrognu,
>but the real thing with only the impossible stuff (subprocesses, shell
>commands, etc.) taken out...

The problem with porting GNU Emacs to the Mac under the Mac OS is that
RMS is very much opposed to Apple because of its lawsuit against Microsoft
("look and feel"), and won't allow any #ifdef MACs in the code.

MacJove is another alternative to "REAL" emacs, but if you don't like
MicroEmacs, you probably won't like Jove either. The last posted version
was 4.9, but 4.10a (an interim version) is available from our system.
4.10a includes window moving/sizing/zooming and filename/directory name
completion, along with display bugfixes. I don't know if 4.10a will be
posted to comp.binaries.mac or not (there is not a lot of demand for Jove),
but if you are interested in 4.10a, let me know.

The GNU Emacs source IS supplied with A/UX, but of course, is not supported
by anyone.

 Ken Mitchum
 Decision Systems Labs
 km@cadre.dsl.pittsburgh.edu