[comp.sys.mac.programmer] LSC & SE/30

grae@murdu.OZ (Graeme Gerrard) (02/21/89)

Anybody know whether there is a version of THINK C
around that uses the 68030/68882 of IIx and SE/30.
Is there one planned, any idea when it's due?

Thanks in Advance

Graeme Gerrard
Faculty of Music
University of Melbourne
AUSTRALIA

siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) (02/23/89)

In article <1524@murdu.OZ> grae@murdu.OZ (Graeme Gerrard) writes:
>Anybody know whether there is a version of THINK C
>around that uses the 68030/68882 of IIx and SE/30.
>Is there one planned, any idea when it's due?

	The current version of LightspeedC generates code for the 68020
(long multiply/divide, bitfields), which is upward-compatible with the 68030,
and for the 68881, which identical in object format to the 68882.

	LightspeedC currently doesn't support the PMMU instructions on the
68030, but a future version may support it in the inline assembler.

	[Note that the ONLY software difference between the 68020 and the 68030
is the set of PMMU instructions.]

		--Rich

Rich Siegel
Staff Software Developer
THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.
Internet: siegel@endor.harvard.edu
UUCP: ..harvard!endor!siegel
Phone: (617) 275-4800 x305

holland@m2.csc.ti.com (Fred Hollander) (02/24/89)

In article <1524@murdu.OZ> grae@murdu.OZ (Graeme Gerrard) writes:
>Anybody know whether there is a version of THINK C
>around that uses the 68030/68882 of IIx and SE/30.
>Is there one planned, any idea when it's due?

Is a new version necessary?  Shouldn't the code that LSC generates for
the 68020/68881 be compatible with the 68030/68882?

Fred Hollander
Computer Science Center
Texas Instruments, Inc.
hollander@ti.com

The above statements are my own and not representative of Texas Instruments.

paco@oakhill.UUCP (Paco) (02/25/89)

In article <1253@husc6.harvard.edu>, siegel@endor.harvard.edu (Rich Siegel) writes:
> In article <1524@murdu.OZ> grae@murdu.OZ (Graeme Gerrard) writes:
> >Anybody know whether there is a version of THINK C
> >around that uses the 68030/68882 of IIx and SE/30.
> >Is there one planned, any idea when it's due?
>
> 	The current version of LightspeedC generates code for the 68020
> (long multiply/divide, bitfields), which is upward-compatible with the 68030,
> and for the 68881, which identical in object format to the 68882.
>
> 	LightspeedC currently doesn't support the PMMU instructions on the
> 68030, but a future version may support it in the inline assembler.
>
> 	[Note that the ONLY software difference between the 68020 and the 68030
> is the set of PMMU instructions.]
>
> 		--Rich
>
> Rich Siegel
> Staff Software Developer
> THINK Technologies Division, Symantec Corp.

Actually, there's more to the software differences than just PMMU instructions.
The MC68030 implements a subset of the MC68851 PMMU functionality and drops a
couple other opcodes out of the MC68020 instruction set:

	CALLM	Save current module state on stack; Load new module state
		from destination
	RTM	Reload saved module state from stack

The data cache on the 030 might also change the way a bus trace looks...
All totaled, people writting in LSC (yours truly included) won't feel these
differences.

    paco.

Macintosh Software Developer
Motorola Microprocessor Division
Austin, Texas

email:		cs.utexas.edu!oakhill!devsys!paco
		paco @ Generic BBS 201/389-8473

disclaimer:	author is (ir)responsible for all statements

author-of:	Menstat, CS-1 @ Stanford, MacGroup @ AT&T, Satori Emulator...

quote:		"Killing a bush with one's hand is better than getting stoned
		 with two birds." - Suzanne Nathan