[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 3.0's Print command

malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (02/23/89)

I'm not sure if my previous message made it out into netland, but this will be
my last request for information about the support of the MPW Print command for
the Imagewriter LQ printer.

I find the printing of the LQ Imagewriter to be quite slow in Best quality mode,
which is the only mode that (apparently) works with the print command.  I
would be a much happier individual to at least get some response as to whether
this will be supported in the near future (i.e., support for Better mode, and
even support for draft mode).  I promise to never divulge the answer, to never
even acknowledge ever having gotten an answer, if some kind soul at Apple would
please respond to this question.

More generically, I filed an "Outside Bug Report" concerning this last November,
and have (as you may have guessed) never gotten any response to it.  (Its id
was either FDM-000 or FDM001).  What is the purpose of filing such a report if
one is never going to get a response to it?

This inquiring mind really, really just wants to know...

  -- Frank Malczewski       (malczews@castor.usc.edu while playing student)

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, Architect) (02/26/89)

article <2805@nunki.usc.edu> malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) writes:
> the printing of the LQ Imagewriter to be quite slow in Best quality mode,
>which is the only mode that (apparently) works with the print command.

Have you tried the commando interface for the print command?  It has
(on the more options page) the ability to specify the quality of the printing.

print -q high/print -q standard/print -q draft are three possible options.

Hope this helps.  (I don't know if this works with the LQ since I don't have
one but give it a whirl)
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect      Cereal, anyone?  :-)
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
ATTnet: 408-974-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

malczews@castor.usc.edu (Frank Malczewski) (02/27/89)

Neither the commando interface nor the -q options allow for the LQ print quality
to be changed; the response to either of these approaches is (something to
the effect of):
     # draft quality is only supported for ImageWriters
So, no such luck.  Only the best quality mode is allowed  :(.

  -- Frank Malczewski        (malczews@castor.usc.edu)