[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Registering your application's signature. Here's how

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (03/04/89)

If you write programs for the Mac, with icons, you should be careful not
to assign yourself the same signature as someone else: can't have some
user double-clicking on a document and having the wrong application get
launched.  To avoid conflicts, always register your signatures with Apple.
here is how (at least this is what I've been doing for the last two
years.)
Anyone can register a signature. You don't have to be a certified
developer.  Just send a letter explaining
(o) who you are
(o) how to reach you
(o) What signature you would like (if any non-printing characters are
used, include the hex values. Also, make sure to distinguish upper
and lower case
(o) ask apple to assign you something if that signature or filetype
is already taken.

Send to:
Apple Developer Technical Support
Attn: Application Information
20525 Mariani Ave, M/S 3-T
Cupertino, CA 95014

They send you a nice little letter saying that signature is now your
very own. Use it wisely!

--- David Phillip Oster            --"When we replace the mouse with a pen,
Arpa: oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --3 button mouse fans will need saxophone
Uucp: {uwvax,decvax}!ucbvax!oster%dewey.soe.berkeley.edu --lessons." - Gasee

mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) (03/05/89)

In article <28289@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>Anyone can register a signature. You don't have to be a certified
>developer.

Interesting idea; unfortunately, your process is rather one-sided.  How does
one go about getting a list of signatures from Apple, so as to form one's
own signature, one with a mnemonic relation to the program?

Robert Dorsett
Internet: mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu
UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!walt.cc.utexas.edu!mentat

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (03/05/89)

In article <28289@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:

>Send to:
>Apple Developer Technical Support
>Attn: Application Information
>20525 Mariani Ave, M/S 3-T
>Cupertino, CA 95014

Currently, our MailStop is 51-T. However, sending your letters to 3-T won't
hurt; it'll just take a day longer for it to get to us.

Thanks for posting this information, Dave!

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (03/05/89)

In article <28289@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>If you write programs for the Mac, with icons, you should be careful not
>to assign yourself the same signature as someone else: can't have some
>user double-clicking on a document and having the wrong application get
>launched.  To avoid conflicts, always register your signatures with Apple.
>here is how (at least this is what I've been doing for the last two
>years.)
>Anyone can register a signature. You don't have to be a certified
>developer.  Just send a letter explaining
>(o) who you are
>(o) how to reach you
>(o) What signature you would like (if any non-printing characters are
>used, include the hex values. Also, make sure to distinguish upper
>and lower case
>(o) ask apple to assign you something if that signature or filetype
>is already taken.
>
>Send to:
>Apple Developer Technical Support
>Attn: Application Information
>20525 Mariani Ave, M/S 3-T
>Cupertino, CA 95014

Sorry, little mistake here.  To register a file type and creator, send a
letter to the following address (or an AppleLink to MacDTS).

           Developer Technical Support
           Attn:  Application Information
           Apple Computer, Inc.
           20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 51-T
           Cupertino, CA 95014

The form is as follows:

When you ship your Macintosh application, you must register your application's
signature, and the types of any files your application creates, with Apple
Developer Technical Support.

The Finder Interface chapter of _Inside Macintosh_ contains information about
how these signatures and file types are used.  Additional information about
setting up this information in your application is contained in Macintosh
Technical Note #48.  It should be noted that Apple reserves all signatures
and file types containing entirely lower-case letters.

These file types and signatures must be unique, because the Finder uses them
to associate your application's documents with your application and its icons.
If two applications use the same type or signature, the Finder may display
the wrong icon, or launch the wrong application.  That's why it's important
to register these types with Apple Developer Technical Support.  We'll call you
if there's a conflict, and a written confirmation will be sent when your
information is registered.

We're currently revising our database, and would like to hear from all
developers who are currently shipping applications, even if you've
previously registered your types and signatures.  If you are shipping more
than one application, please copy this form and send us one copy for each
application.  Thank you.

Developer name:
Address:

Technical Contact:
Phone:

Product name:

Please print the following information carefully.  If any non-printing
characters are used, please use hexadecimal values (i.e., "S T R $20").

Signatures:

__ __ __ __   __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __

Custom file types you create: (Don't include standard types like TEXT or PICT)

__ __ __ __   __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __

Custom resource type or scrap type that you create (we will NOT arbitrate these,
as conflicts are not usually a problem.  Don't include standard types):

__ __ __ __   __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __  __ __ __ __

For Apple II file types and auxiliary types...

We require four things from a developer before publishing a file format for
your application in a File Type Note:

1.    The file format itself, preferably in an ASCII text file.
2.    Assurances that the product is shipping.  We don't want to jump
      the gun by releasing a Note for an unannounced product or a
      product which is unavailable.  The enclosed list of file type
      assignments includes only those products which we know are
      currently shipping.  If your product is shipping, but your file
      type is not listed, you need to let us know.
3.    Written permission to publish the file format.  We don't want you
      to submit the format and then be surprised when we publish it.
4.    Your company name and address, so we can refer readers to you for
      more information about your product.

We welcome your file formats, suggestions on existing Notes, and your requests
for file type or auxiliary type assignments.  Please contact us at:

                    Apple II File Type Registration
                    Developer Technical Support
                    Apple Computer, Inc.
                    20525 Mariani Avenue, M/S 51-T
                    Cupertino, CA  95014
                    AppleLink: AIIDTS
                    MCI Mail:  AIIDTS (264-0103)

Hope this helps...

Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.         UUCP:  {amdahl,decwrl,sun,unisoft}!apple!mjohnson

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_

In article <10954@ut-emx.UUCP> mentat@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>In article <28289@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu.UUCP (David Phillip Oster) writes:
>>Anyone can register a signature. You don't have to be a certified
>>developer.

For signatures, you send a list of preferred choices and DTS chooses the first
one which is not already taken.  If all of your choices are already taken,
you will receive a letter requesting additional choices.