[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Encyclopedia Mac ROM

phssra@mathcs.emory.edu (Scott R. Anderson) (03/06/89)

I've seen this book advertised in a couple of places.  Does anybody know if it
is useful?  Will it minimize the need to test programs on real hardware (i.e.
the hardware you don't have)?  Is it redundant with Inside Mac?

*
  *      **                  Scott Robert Anderson      gatech!emoryu1!phssra
   *   *    *    **          phssra@unix.cc.emory.edu   phssra@emoryu1.bitnet
    * *      * *    * **
     *        *      *  * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, wyl E. coyote ) (03/06/89)

I like this book a lot because I do a fair amount of assembler programming
these days and it gives examples of calling routines from C, Pascal and
Assembler.

It is by no means a replacement for Inside Macintosh.  It is a good
reference type guide.  It is not a tutorial.

This is not an official Apple policy statement or endorsement.
| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                       |
Byron Han, Communications Architect      Cereal, anyone?  :-)  A1!
Apple Computer, Inc.                     -------------------------------------
20525 Mariani Ave, MS27Y                 Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                      UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------------   GENIE: BYRONHAN
ATTnet: 408-974-6450   Applelink: HAN1   CompuServe: 72167,1664

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/06/89)

In article <3778@emory.mathcs.emory.edu> phssra@emory.UUCP (Scott Robert Anderson) writes:
>I've seen this book advertised in a couple of places.  Does anybody know if it
>is useful?  Will it minimize the need to test programs on real hardware (i.e.
>the hardware you don't have)?  Is it redundant with Inside Mac?

It contains a lot of information about each ROM routine, but IMHO it is
badly organized.  Browse before buying to see if it fits your needs.

| Robert J Woodhead      !uunet!cornell!biar!trebor     CompuServe 72447,37 |
| Biar Games, Inc., 10 Spruce Lane, Ithaca NY 14850  607-257-1708,3864(fax) |
| Games written, Viruses killed   "I'm the head honcho of this here spread; |
| While U Wait.  Take a number.    I don't need no stinking disclaimers!!!" |