[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacCompress is eating my hard disk

engber@shorty.CS.WISC.EDU (Mike Engber) (03/08/89)

I've found that when I use MacCompress that there are some files that send
it off into space (maybe they're damaged, who knows). It chews on them for
a while and then the mouse freezes up. When I reboot the free space on my
hd is reduced, sometimes by as much as a meg.

I checked for invisible temporary files to delete, but found none. Can
anyone explain this behavior and offer any suggestions on how to fix it.
Also, is there any chance of MacCompress doing any serious damage apart
from using up space.

I tried to reach the author, lloyd@stanford.edu, but my mail isn't getting
through. Apart from this, MacCompress is awesome & saves me lots of time.

-ME

alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) (03/08/89)

In article <7282@spool.cs.wisc.edu> engber@shorty.cs.wisc.edu (Mike Engber) writes:
>I've found that when I use MacCompress that there are some files that send
>it off into space (maybe they're damaged, who knows). It chews on them for
>a while and then the mouse freezes up. When I reboot the free space on my
>hd is reduced, sometimes by as much as a meg.
>
>-ME

I've found that the problem is caused by the files created by MacCompress
having non-zero VERSION numbers.  This is a NONO according to all Macintosh
programming documentation.  Unfortunately, since virtually nothing does
make this mistake, there are few utilities around for killing off these
files.

MPW shell can show you files that you can't see with Finder or SFGetFile.
You can use it to copy the files so the contents can be recovered.  You
can also use it to delete the "bad" ones.

You might write a simple program to look for files on your disk that have
nonzero version numbers and set them to zero.  This is the ultimate fix.

Hope this helps...
--
Alan Mimms			My opinions are generally
Communications Products Group	pretty worthless, but

cruff@ncar.ucar.edu (Craig Ruff) (03/08/89)

In article <875@internal.Apple.COM> alan@Apple.COM (Alan Mimms) writes:
>I've found that the problem is caused by the files created by MacCompress
>having non-zero VERSION numbers.  This is a NONO according to all Macintosh
>programming documentation.  Unfortunately, since virtually nothing does
>make this mistake, there are few utilities around for killing off these
>files.

Well, according to my copy of Inside Mac, it only mentions the version
number for MFS files, not HFS files.  And all of the HFS structures don't
have any reference to this stupid version number.  You have to shove a
zero into the proper place (probably under a different name)!

* FLAME ON *

If HFS doesn't support the version numbers, why doesn't it explicitly
set them to zero for you?!?  And if they really seem to be used, why
doesn't the documentation say so?!?

* FLAME OFF *
--
Craig Ruff      NCAR                         INTERNET: cruff@ncar.UCAR.EDU