[comp.sys.mac.programmer] text streaming to imagewriter

GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) (03/09/89)

How do I use the high level printer calls to text stream to the
imagewriter.

I have a program that receives data from our mainframe and prints it
to the mac printer.  I am trying to use the high level calls for
everything.  Since it seems that apple is discouraging use of low
level calls.  I get either postscript or plain text depending on
the printer.  I can stream postscript to the laserwriter with the
pic comments, but how do I stream text to the imagewriter using the
high level calls?

Thanks for any help

Aaron Reizes
Stanford University                     gg.dar@forsythe.stanford.edu

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/11/89)

In article <2328@lindy.Stanford.EDU>, GG.DAR@forsythe.stanford.edu (Aaron Reizes) writes:
> How do I use the high level printer calls to text stream to the
> imagewriter.
>
> [ More details and the like]

	You can't REALLY stream text using the high level calls.  You can
print text by imaging it on a page (which is how the high level routines work
) but it does not stream (you have to create/image the entire page before it
gets printed!)

	There is a DEFINATE need for Apple to continue to support the low level
printing routines OR at least give us a better interface for print streaming
(which is what is really needed!).

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025