[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Why doesn't ShowInit work with DiskSwitch?

jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) (03/12/89)

The subject line says it all...
ShowInit is the famous INIT resource that, when put into an INIT file, shows
its icon at startup.
DiskSwitch is a very nice INIT written by Larry Rosenstein for solving the
bug in ROM that makes Command-Shift-1 and 2 not work when the Mac needs a
disk.
The problem is, I put ShowInit in the DiskSwitch file, and everything works,
but no icon at startup.  The same operation applied to, for example, Easy
Access works fine.
What's going on? Any help?
--
  -- Jurjen N.E. Bos (jurjen@cwi.nl)

thecloud@dhw68k.cts.com (Ken McLeod) (03/13/89)

In article <7951@boring.cwi.nl> jurjen@cwi.nl (Jurjen N.E. Bos) writes:

>The subject line says it all...
>ShowInit is the famous INIT resource that, when put into an INIT file, shows
>its icon at startup.
>DiskSwitch is a very nice INIT written by Larry Rosenstein for solving the
>bug in ROM that makes Command-Shift-1 and 2 not work when the Mac needs a
>disk.
>The problem is, I put ShowInit in the DiskSwitch file, and everything works,
>but no icon at startup.  The same operation applied to, for example, Easy
>Access works fine.
>What's going on? Any help?

 The ShowINIT resource looks for an ICN# resource with the same ID number
as the INIT. If (for example) DiskSwitch's ICN# had an ID of 128, you'd
need to change the ID of the ShowINIT resource to 128 (if it wasn't
already).

 The other possibility is that the "No INITs" bit is set on the file, but
if DiskSwitch is "working", you can probably rule that out.

 Hope this made some sense...
--
Ken McLeod    :.     .:    felix!dhw68k!thecloud@ics.uci.edu