[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Aztec C for the Mac

goodrum@unccvax.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) (03/09/89)

	I have been thinking about getting a C compiler for my 512K mac
(which I will probably upgrade to a Mac Plus, although I am not sure
when) and have noticed that Aztec C has become incredibly cheap. I have seen
it advertized for  $65. If I am going to upgrade my machine it would be
good to be able to save some money on software.
	Does anybody out there have much experience with Aztec C? Suggestions,
comments, are appreciated.

--
Cloyd Goodrum III
UNCC Computer Science Department

snow@dinl.uucp (john snow) (03/11/89)

and much more reciently on the Mac, and have found both of them to be
excellent products.  It has a lot of power and flexability, and gives
you easy ways to do things like DA's and drivers (make that a qualified
'easy', we are talking about the Mac here).  There is a companion debugger,
SDB, which I highly recommend.  It is good and can save many hours of
frustration.  I can't make a comparasion with other products such as the
ever popular LSC since I have never seen them, I opted for the Aztec
because of my good experiences with the DOS version.  In general I would
say that their documentation is weak, their tech support is poor, but
their software is excellent.

Hope this helps.

	John Snow

earleh@northstar (Earle Horton) (03/11/89)

In article <847@dinl.mmc.UUCP> snow@dinl.uucp (john snow) writes:
>I can't make a comparasion with other products such as the
>ever popular LSC since I have never seen them, I opted for the Aztec
>because of my good experiences with the DOS version.  In general I would
>say that their documentation is weak, their tech support is poor, but
>their software is excellent.

     Well, I can make the comparison between MPW C and Aztec, and to a
lesser extent LSC.  The Aztec compiler is "source code compatible"
with MPW.  This means that all the header files have the same names,
and the ToolBox data structures are declared the same way.  The
documentation I got with my copy says the company plans to maintain
compatibility with MPW C.  The Aztec compiler is not 100% pure
compatible, but is so close that some rather large C source files
which I have will compile under either compiler without any
conditional compilation to allow for compiler differences.  This to me
is amazing: it says that at long last SOMEBODY out there is making an
effort to be compatible with somebody else.  The folks at Manx deserve
a lot of credit for this.

     Before Manx did this, porting a C program between any two
Macintosh development systems was about as much trouble as porting a
program from UNIX or DOS to the Mac!  Since Apple does, in fact,
manufacture the computer, I wish all C compiler writers for the Mac
would get on the ball and make their compilers MPW-compatible!
(Yesterday wouldn't be soon enough.)

     Aztec also works under the MPW shell.  I don't recommend using
the Aztec shell at all unless you have a floppy based system or are a
masochist.  You can produce MPW Tools with the Aztec system.

The present version does not support function prototypes, either
Pascal or C, so it cannot do parameter checking as do MPW or LSC.
This is the main, perhaps the only, thing I do not like about it.

It seems to produce code somewhere between MPW and LSC:  The code size
of your finished application is smaller than with LSC and bigger than
with MPW, and the time to get there falls in the middle, too.

The compiler produces assembler source, which you then assemble with
the supplied assembler.  Neither of the other systems do this.  This
can be of benefit because a) You get to look at the code if you want
and b) The compiler runs in less memory than the other two.

I have used Aztec for about 6 months now, and I really like it.  I
prefer it to MPW, and I VASTLY prefer it to LSC.  I mean, I won't even
LOOK at LSC source code now.  I have Aztec, MPW, and LSC compilers on
my hard disk, and I am seriously thinking of deleting two of them to
make some more room.  You shouldn't have much trouble guessing which
two are headed for the trash can!

anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson) (03/13/89)

In article <1391@unccvax.UUCP> goodrum@unccvax.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:

>	I have been thinking about getting a C compiler for my 512K mac
>(which I will probably upgrade to a Mac Plus, although I am not sure
>when) and have noticed that Aztec C has become incredibly cheap. I have seen
>it advertized for  $65. If I am going to upgrade my machine it would be
>good to be able to save some money on software.

Lightspeec C sells for $95 from MacConnection. I have used Aztec C, and I
have used Lightspeed C. My comparison can be summarized thus: There are
much better ways to save $30.

NOTE: I have no connection with the Lightspeed C folks, except as an
extremely satisfied customer. The opinions expressed above are my own.
   Ed Anson,    Calcomp Display Products Division,    Hudson NH 03051
   (603) 885-8712,      anson@elrond.CalComp.COM

fgz@lakart.UUCP (Federico Genoese-Zerbi) (03/15/89)

From article <2621@spray.CalComp.COM>, by anson@spray.CalComp.COM (Ed Anson):
> In article <1391@unccvax.UUCP> goodrum@unccvax.UUCP (Cloyd Goodrum) writes:
>>

> Lightspeec C sells for $95 from MacConnection. I have used Aztec C, and I
> have used Lightspeed C. My comparison can be summarized thus: There are
> much better ways to save $30.
I'd like to add my $.02's worth of praise for Lightspeed C.  I have used
Consulair, Aztec and Lightspeed.  I would not use anything other than
Lightspeed C unless the other ones get MUCH better.  Lightspeed C; there
is no substitute.
> NOTE: I have no connection with the Lightspeed C folks, except as an
> extremely satisfied customer. The opinions expressed above are my own.
The same for me.

Federico Genoese-Zerbi
{mirror, xait, cfisun}!lakart!fgz