[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Where have the Viruses been found?

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (03/15/89)

I know I may be opening a can of worms with this question, but....

What programs have been found to be carrying the known
viruses? This is a different question from "What programs
have been infected with the known viruses?", since secondary
infections are to be expected.

What I'm asking is for a list of posted and/or public domain
software which are carriers and should be avoided.

trebor@biar.UUCP (Robert J Woodhead) (03/16/89)

In article <730@metasoft.UUCP> alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) writes:

>I know I may be opening a can of worms with this question, but....
>
>What programs have been found to be carrying the known
>viruses? This is a different question from "What programs
>have been infected with the known viruses?", since secondary
>infections are to be expected.
>
>What I'm asking is for a list of posted and/or public domain
>software which are carriers and should be avoided.

It's an impossible and pointless question to answer, since any software
is guilty until proven innocent.  The _only_ safe policy if you are a
BBS owner is to check every single posting before anyone is allowed to
download it.

To my knowlege, there hasn't been a case of a trojan horse program that
carries a virus, except for two Hypercard stacks, one which carried the
defunct Peace virus, and the other which carried the Dukakis virus, which
was actually written in Hypertalk.
--
* Robert J Woodhead * The true meaning of life is cunningly encrypted and *
* uunet!biar!trebor * hidden somewhere in this signature...               *