[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Script Manager compatibilty

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) (03/25/89)

In article <1092@lts.UUCP>, amanda@lts.UUCP (Amanda Walker) writes:
> In article <11041@well.UUCP>, svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
>    ... note that the new styled TE is NOT SM compat! ...
>
> Can anyone summarize the ways in which styled TextEdit is not SM compatible?

	Styled TE is SM compat AS LONG AS you stick with ONE SCRIPT. If the
user tries to use more than one script (this even includes English AND soemthing
else) then you will have A LOT of problems.  Styled TE does not properly
handle drawing, selection, etc. of multi-script documents.
	If it is any consolation, the next MAJOR release of the system
software will include full SM compat for Styled TE.

> Aside from the above evidence, it would surprise me a great deal if Apple
> left out such basic compatibility.

	I didn't either when I first discovered this, but when it was
explained to me why (can you say 'get it out the door NOW') I sort-of understood
it. :-)

Leonard Rosenthol        |  GEnie : MACgician
Lazerware, inc.          |  MacNet: MACgician
UUCP: svc@well.UUCP      |  ALink : D0025