[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW Pascal 3.0 problem

d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se. (Martin Carlberg) (03/25/89)

I have problem with MPW Pascal (3.0 beta 1). It bombs when the compiler loads
the USES files, BusError!

Does anyone recognize this problem ? Is there any better version of MPW Pascal ?
Can I go around this problem ?
Please help me, I'm stuck!

 - Martin Carlberg
 - Chalmers University of Technology, Gothenburg, Sweden

This is the command I use:
 Pascal UAxis.p -d qInspector=TRUE -d qNames=TRUE -d qRangeCheck=TRUE -d
qWriteLnWin=TRUE -d qDebug=TRUE -d qTrace=TRUE -u -w -d qMPW2=False -mbg ch8
			-d qProceduralViews=TRUE
			-d qTemplateViews=TRUE
			-d qWriteTemplates=TRUE
			-d qNeedsROM128K=TRUE
			-i "{SrcMacApp}" -k "{LoadMacApp}" -o :UAxis.p.o -p

Pascal V3.0 Beta (9/27/88)   14.56.42 89-03-25
(c) 1981 SVS, Inc. (c) 1988 Apple Computer, Inc.

FILE : "UAxis.p"

Note: $LOAD directive is obsolete but harmless.
Read in resources for unit "MEMTYPES"
Read in resources for unit "QUICKDRAW"
Read in resources for unit "OSINTF"
Read in resources for unit "TOOLINTF"
Read in resources for unit "PACKINTF"
Read in resources for unit "APPLETALK"
Note: $LOAD directive is obsolete but harmless.
Read in resources for unit "UMAUTIL"
Read in resources for unit "UVIEWCOORDS"
Read in resources for unit "UFAILURE"
Read in resources for unit "UMEMORY"
Read in resources for unit "UMENUSETUP"
Read in resources for unit "UOBJECT"
Read in resources for unit "ULIST"
Read in resources for unit "UASSOCIATION"
Read in resources for unit "UMACAPP"
Note: $LOAD directive is obsolete but harmless.
Read in resources for unit "UPRINTING"
Read in resources for unit "UTEVIEW"
Read in resources for unit "UGRIDVIEW"
Read in resources for unit "UDIALOG"
Read in resources for unit "UAXISGLOBAL"
Read in resources for unit "USTARTUPSCREEN"
Read in resources for unit "UAPPLETALK"

Now it's goes down into macsbug, BusError at 003C0FD4

The stack look like this:

Calling chain using A6 links
  A6 Frame   Caller
   <main>   00046220
  003D0F06  00053F76 main+01D6
  003D0EB6  000535DC
  003D0EAA  0005330E shellCommands+0262
  003D0E3A  00053FD0 launch+0034
  003D0E12  00054C58 sysLaunch+0208
  003D0DB2  003C4972 PASCAL+011E
  003D0D26  003A3A50 CALLPROG+0040
  003D0D1E  003BBF42 PROG+094E
  003D0C0E  003B548E DECLARATIONS+04B6
  003D0B20  00391F84 USESDECL+00D0
  003D0970  003918E0 READSYMTABFILE+0318
  003D08E4  0038F7B0 ADJUSTUNIT+007A
  003D08CC  0038F4C4 ADJUSTN+0092
  003D08AA  0038F4B6 ADJUSTN+0084
  003D0888  0038F4B6 ADJUSTN+0084

Here is the first lines in my program:

{UAxis.p}
UNIT UAxis;
INTERFACE
USES
	{$LOAD MacIntf.LOAD}
		MemTypes, QuickDraw, OSIntf, ToolIntf, PackIntf, AppleTalk,
	{$LOAD UMacApp.LOAD}
		UMAUtil, UViewCoords, UFailure,
		UMemory, UMenuSetup, UObject, UList, UAssociation, UMacApp,
	{$LOAD}
	UPrinting,
	UTEView,
	UGridView,
	UDialog,
	UAxisGlobal,
	UStartupScreen,
	UAppleTalk,
	UAxisNet,
	UTerritory,
	UUnit;
CONST
	kSignature			=	'SS01'; {Application signature}

rick@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (03/26/89)

In article <459@vice2utc.chalmers.se> d6maca@dtek.chalmers.se (Martin Carlberg) writes:
>I have problem with MPW Pascal (3.0 beta 1). It bombs when the compiler loads
>the USES files, BusError!
>
>Does anyone recognize this problem ? Is there any better version of MPW Pascal ?

Off the top of my head, here's some things you can try:
    -- increasing MPW's MultiFinder partition (if you're using MF)
    -- compiling with Pascal's -noload or -clean options
    -- using MPW's RezDet tool to see if the resource fork (and hence,
	the saved symbol table) of any of your USES files is trashed
    -- get the latest MPW / Pascal (3.0 final) from APDA (although
	you'll probably have to wait awhile).

Rick Wong
Courseware Authoring Tools Project, Stanford University
rick@jessica.stanford.edu