[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Quirk of LSC with Debugger on

jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) (03/30/89)

I've noticed that when I am running a project application inside LSC, with
the debugger on, that the pulldown menus will only stay "pulled down" for
so long and tend to vanish after an indeterminate period of time, as if I
had lifted the mouse button.  (The highlighted item is NOT selected,
however.)

Rich, or whoever, any ideas what's going on here?

--
v   v sssss|| joseph hall                      || 201-1D Hampton Lee Court
 v v s   s || jnh@ece-csc.ncsu.edu (Internet)  || Cary, NC  27511

rick@Jessica.stanford.edu (Rick Wong) (03/31/89)

In article <3986@ece-csc.UUCP> jnh@ece-csc.UUCP (Joseph Nathan Hall) writes:
>I've noticed that when I am running a project application inside LSC, with
>the debugger on, that the pulldown menus will only stay "pulled down" for
>so long and tend to vanish after an indeterminate period of time, as if I
>had lifted the mouse button.  (The highlighted item is NOT selected,
>however.)
>
>Rich, or whoever, any ideas what's going on here?

I have had similar problems with mouse-tracking loops that use the Toolbox
Event Manager routines (StillDown, GetNextEvent, EventAvail).  My pro-
gram will merrily track the mouse, and then exit its tracking loop as if
it got a mouseUp.  Strangely, or not so strangely, this doesn't happen if
I use the lower-level OS Event Manager routines (GetOSEvent, OSEventAvail).

Rick Wong
Stanford University
rick@jessica.stanford.edu